Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rabbit hutches  (Read 23211 times)

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
Rabbit hutches
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:35:11 pm »
Hi all...

We got a couple of rescue bunnies earlier this year and not having kept rabbits before i want to protect them from the chilly windy rainy winter nights that are almost upon us.

I was thinking of relocating them into the greenhouse overwinter for protection and wamth... if anyone else keeps rabbits, what do you do with yours?

Ive put an ad on freecycle for another small hutch as one of the hutches I have is huge.

All advice appreciated  :)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Rabbit hutches
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 05:02:33 pm »
they might over heat in the greenhouse or be to chilly? just an idea you can get a thing called a bunny heator which you put around the hutch in winters maybe you have a garage out a she you could put them in there?
just an idea

Linz

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:17:47 am »
hey ive seen the hutch heater things as well! think ive seen them called something like hutch snuggles or something along those lines!! they arnt overly expensive or my sister kept guinnea pigs in a hutch and just used to give them some extra bedding and put a tarpaulin sheet over the front at night held down by a couple of bricks and they were fine! she only put the tarpaulin sheeting on to protect them from the rain or snow! my guinnea pigs live in an avery and all i give them is some extra bedding as the bottom half of the avery sides are solid wood and the roof has corrigated plastic sheeting on it! and they are fine! they do afterall like rabbits have a fur coat on all year round and would naturally be used to cold wether in the open!  ;D

chrisgod

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Renazé 53
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:56:30 am »
As long as your bunnies are OUT of the draft and are not in any really cold areas (IE In a corner of two walls?) they will quite honestly be fine!! Just be sure the hutch is water and wind proof and the heat from the faeces will be enough to keep them warm!!
Please have a look at www.french-lakes.fr

Remember this!! SOME people are ALIVE simply because it is ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM!!??

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 05:44:12 pm »
The hutches are in quite a sheltered spot, to I reckon they will be fine.. thats said with these horrendous winds we have been experiencing lately!

Its normally my 2 (teenagers) who are responsible for feeding, watering and cleaning.. but I gave them a weekend off with the cleaning duties and gave them a bit of a spring clean this morning, theyre a couple of happy wee bunnies  :)

swavgav

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:49:57 pm »
Hey, i kept my rabbit in the greenhouse last year and the results were brillant he was as happy as larry. this year i dont have the greenhouse so he's outside and seems to be coping alrite.
plenty of shredded paper and we bring him in to the house daily and he runs around the living room he's very clean!

Gav

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS