Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Towing with a 12.5hp lawnmower  (Read 3169 times)

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
Towing with a 12.5hp lawnmower
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »
hello folks,

Quick question - a friend of a friend has offered me a 12.5 hp lawn tractor.  It's really a sit on mower with the cutting deck removed.  I like to think creatively, and because it has a tow-bar I'm wondering if it'll be any use towing a trailer? What about a  trailer of pigs? (6 at most) Our land is only 5 acres, so not far to go...

Thanks,
Lynn

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Towing with a 12.5hp lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:36:57 pm »
I don't have a clue really, but I have had a few ride on mowers so I can use logic. 

We had one that was designed to pull a roller filled with water, a three gang mower, or a barrow.  None of them was heavy, but I would be inclined to find out the weight of your mower and only pull half of that,  Does your friend use it for towing at the moment?  I'd worry it might tip up with too much weight behind it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 05:56:52 pm »
The manual for the machine should have towing limits... but they'll apply to dry flat ground specially with grass tyres and if it's two-wheel drive

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 06:14:07 pm »
I have a 12.5 hp mower..you've no chance of towing a trailer of 6 pigs.

It's a good little machine, I have a four wheel cart for it which it handles well enough, it will for example pull a couple of people in the cart,  power isn't really the issue, it's traction. And remember they are belt driven so not made to handle massive weights.

Pundyburn Lynn

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 06:43:17 pm »
Thanks guys, decision made.  You lot are worth your weight in gold!

Lynn x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS