Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: infected ear from tag  (Read 7604 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
infected ear from tag
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »
I just discovered my first infected ear tag on a Soay lamb from last year, and gosh it's gory...
I tagged them in January so quite a while ago.
I noticed today his ear was dropping had a closer look and saw it was badly infected, with pus ooszing out. Attempted to cut off the tag and it just came off with all the gunky/dead tissue still sandwiched between the two parts, even before I managed to cut through pin. Poor little guy now has a massive hole (1cm across) even though the actual tag/pin is only a few mm... Sprayed it with antiseptic and with fly repellant... hope it will start healing soon. Still reeling...

Anything I could have done differently? I looked at all the posts here and some videos about placing the tag and I believe I did it correctly. Also sprayed with antiseptic after the tag went through. Maybe I should not have cut through the loop? Or just one of those things?
I used the tiny 'Adamatic' tags
(recommeded here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=13266
and here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=23067
It was very small and light and the pin is still solid It didn't appear to bother him, but obviously it was festering underneath. Feeling terrible...
Must now catch all of last year's lambs to check their ears!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:04:27 pm by ladyK »
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: infected ear from tag
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »
Don't beat yourself up about it.  It happens, just the same as people with pierced ears sometimes get an infection, even though it was correctly done.  We occasionally get one, even though it's been tagged in exactly the same way as hundreds of other sheep over the years.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:37 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement MF.
Still horrified that a the smallest tag around with a 'button of less than 2mm ends up causing a hole of 10mm!  :o

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 04:41:48 pm »
They rub it when it is sore, like how we pick an itchy scab, probably being annoyed with flies buzzing around it too.  I have a ewe with a similar size ear hole.  Don't fret, it happens :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:16:56 pm »
It's the height of fashion - you can put one of those black discs in it  :innocent:

If the edges are still raw you can stick it together with superglue, once you've cleaned it up and got rid of the pus.  Otherwise it's difficult to get a place for a full size tag in a little ear with a big hole in it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:23:03 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:15:15 am »
I had this trouble last year. Tagged them early but waiting until later this year. Spoke to my vet and she said when tagging do exactly the same as a human ear piercer does - surgical spirit the ear with a new piece of cotton wool for each lamb and also spirit the tag and the taggers between each lamb. Takes much longer but makes sense.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 12:12:02 pm »
There seems to be disagreement about that babysham, for some reason.  It would seem logical to at least  clean the ear itself and the applicators, but we got a stern lecture from our vet telling us not to do it.  We still do it though  :D  The thing about spirit is it nips like mad, so the lamb may squirm more.
At any early sign of infection, crusting etc, we go for the good old blue spray.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:13:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »
I just use a tub of dettol solution - dip the tagger and tags in that immediately before inserting the tag in the ear.  Never cleaned an ear.  Never do it on a rainy day though, or on wet sheep.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
we got a stern lecture from our vet telling us not to do it.

Confused - what harm could it do?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 01:35:01 pm »
Might it be because both are quite harsh and would denature the skin, which is a bit on the acidic side?  We keep the tags clean but don't sterilise.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »
The dettol solution I use isn't strong - certainly doesn't sting me if I put it on a cut.  I wouldn't use it neat!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »
Indeed, there is a lot of controversy about the use of antiseptic when tagging, quite confusing...
I used it anyway but still seem to have 3 out of 5 tags badly infected a good four months after tagging. None of the ears have ripped but in two cases there was such a big patch of infected/dead tissue around the pin that with the slightest of tugs (while trying to cut it out) the whole tag came out with a big plug of tissue attached.

I now wonder whether it is down to infection at the time of tagging or more down to continued irritation after insertion that has prevented healing hence constant festering... Interestingly the two tags that look OK are those I didn't cut through the loop - wondering if the extra 'play' in the 'loose' tags caused the irritation? Or it could be down to the plastic used with the tags? Not expecting an answer, but I'm wondering about all that. Want to get it right second time around!...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 11:14:43 pm »
Ah, thanks for the info.

I'm interested too, since I've had to remove two infected tags from sheep we've bought in, who were probably tagged just before sale.

The Shearwell website recommends loading the tag into the applicator, then dipping the applicator head in disinfectant before applying the tag, so maybe that's a reasonable enough way to do it?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 11:28:40 pm »
I loaded each tag and then sprayed the whole thing (applicator head and tag) with antiseptic. Sprayed ears after application not before (to avoid extra agitation). Would dipping have made a huge difference?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
I loaded each tag and then sprayed the whole thing (applicator head and tag) with antiseptic. Sprayed ears after application not before (to avoid extra agitation). Would dipping have made a huge difference?
Nope.  The infection probably has nothing to do with the actual insertion of the tag, but could have occurred at a later date - say it caught the tag on the fence or rubbed it, which opened up the skin to the infection.  Don't fret, it just happens sometimes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS