Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking a goat. Haslemere, West Sussex  (Read 4616 times)

sammy

• Joined Mar 2009
Milking a goat. Haslemere, West Sussex
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:00:57 pm »
Can anyone help? I have 2 Saanen nannies and like a fool I thought I would cope with hand milking. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and need a machine. They both kidded 7 weeks ago but have loads of milk. I want to milk them once kids are weaned. I simply don't have the money to buy a machine, they're about £1000 new.
Any advice gratefully received.
Sam

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Milking a goat. Haslemere, West Sussex
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 02:07:55 pm »
You probably want to move your post into the goat section - as you are not really selling/buying anything.

In the goat section you can search for threads on hand-held milkers like the Henry or the Dansha. Worth looking into. I think Plumseverywhere on here is using one or the other, so there are ways of getting them in the UK.

I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands for years - and finally went for the operations this winter. Really good results - so get to your GP and get it done! (But we also did invest in a portable milking machine in our first year of goats - one of our best decisions for goatkeeping!)

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18:51 pm »
Like others, I've got a Milker from Dansha Farms in the U.S. Via eBay.  If you have power near where you milk I'd go for their mains powered system and if you're on your own get the single teat, it may take longer but juggling teats and pressing buttons is tricky! The battery one is great but I had two fail and have the hand pump one which is harder work to get to the point of vacuum.  My difficult saanen is brilliant with this machine.

Other advice would be to get two jars, as the machine is reasonable but it's the delivery which costs.  They send quickly and you'll be up and running in no time.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »
I also hand milk and put off by the £1000 cost of machine but recently accidentally discovered this the other day "dump bucket milking machines" You can get milking machine from milkingmachines.co.uk Price ready to go for goats £379.25. They are look like the £1000 portable one but without the frame. Also from dairy spares £100 for goat cluster about the same for goat pulsator and bucket £95 total unit £350 also fearing have them loads of other suppliers , If you can buy a second hand cow one probably around the £200 mark to adjust it for goats. A little more research on these me thinks, If I'm keeping extra milkers I might buy one yet.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:36:16 pm »
Get some lambs to use the surplus milk while you get yourself sorted. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:31:44 pm »
I researched one milker called EZI milker or similar. was a hundred or so pounds on ebay. looked really handy.

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:13:54 am »
I bought an EZ milker last year and it's been a great help milking the ewes for colostrum during lambing.  They now do an electric version and although I have a full sized milking machine for my goats, I'm tempted by it.

http://www.udderlyez.com/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:34:13 am »
Get some lambs to use the surplus milk while you get yourself sorted. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

You really do not want to put lambs onto suckling a goat directly. It ruins their udder amongst other things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS