Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bargain Price Octagon 20 with Autoturning from Screwfix  (Read 10334 times)

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
Bargain Price Octagon 20 with Autoturning from Screwfix
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:51:52 am »
We have just bought an Octagon 20 with auto turn from Screwfix of all places at a mad price of £139.99. That's at least £80 less than everywhere else. :thumbsup:

They also now have a Rural Supplies department under "Outdoor & Gardening" with some very interesting things such as pig arks & incubators.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Bargain Price Octagon 20 with Autoturning from Screwfix
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »
Oooh, interesting. Brinsea branded and all? I've been pondering getting another because I've not room for chicken eggs at the moment.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »
How on earth did you find that out?  I mean, is this a category you browse in often?  ;D

Home  > Outdoor & Gardening  > Rural Supplies  > Health & Hygiene > Octagon 20 Eco AE22A Egg Incubator

Actually it turns out they've got all sorts of things from troughs to haynets listed under rural supplies too.  Who knew?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:34:22 am »
We just moved into out new place, so I am buying lots of things from Screwfix at present and just came across the new departments by accident.

The Pig arks seem to be cheaper than most other places too, so I am temped to buy one.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

I think it's so that smallholding plumbers and electricians can sneak pig arks through their books without anybody noticing  ;D .

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:37:37 pm »
Screwfix, selling poultry equipment.  That is the most useful thing I have learned today (although there is not much competition for that title).  Must get a new catalogue.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:30:36 pm »
before I rush off to buy one can you guys please tell me whether I will actually manage to hatch any eggs? ive only had my own hens for 5 months and Ive never hatched any. Some of you told me I ought to move towards pure breeds and I now have 2 Cream Legbars along with my original 6 hybrids. Id love to hatch some more Legbars and a few Wyandottes but when I read the threads about hatching it looks so so complicated.
I don't want to invest £140 in an incubator that just sits in an outbuilding gathering dust.
Is it do-able for a novice?
Is it time to retire yet?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 03:44:36 pm »
Yes, it's totally do-able, particularly for hens (waterfowl are more difficult). These Brinsea incubators area also good quality.

A broody hen is easier, but if you haven't got any of those, I've found the best way to get some is to to splash out a lot of money on an expensive incubator  ;) .

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »
It is totally do able. Completely. Don't let hatching stress you coz you won't enjoy it. As long as you are well prepared, I.e. have your brooder ready, feed ready, then it's no problem for a novice. I started with quail two years ago and only got hens a year ago so I consider myself a novice but I have now hatched quail, chickens, ducks and currently have turkeys in the incubator. There is nothing like hearing a chick pipping then staring at the incubator for the next 24hours just to see a tiny chick roll out of its shell!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:52:00 pm »
It's perfectly possible, Kimbo, otherwise many of us wouldn't be on this forum  ;)

Just keep on reading all the forums and websites and then post your questions, we'll be more than happy to help.

Re the Brinseas, I'd go for an Advance rather than an Eco.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »
As Womble has said a broody hen is easier and you will probably get one of those before too long. Not only is it easier but its cheaper too. I had a broody and bought some eggs by post and 5 out of the 6 hatched.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
I've got a cheap ebay incubator, Kimbo I've hatched wyandottes, light Sussex, sumatrans, ducks and currently waiting on 6 silkies due tomorrow. It's nothing fancy, set the temp, put the eggs in, splash some water in every few days and turn the eggs 3 times a day, I've had fab hatch rates and my house hasn't burnt down so far!
Off to see what screwfix has to offer  :)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 05:31:11 pm »
Right! Screwfix here I come!
I too hope I don't burn the house down!  :fc:
Is it time to retire yet?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »
Re the Brinseas, I'd go for an Advance rather than an Eco.

Yes, good advice that  :thumbsup: .

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
Just ordered another two from Screwfix, going to hatch some ducks and off to poultry sale on Saturday to see what other hatching eggs are available.

We started with cheap incubators off ebay to start with but had nothing but trouble with hatch rates, although we didn't realise until I bought OH a small mini eco by Brinsea and the hatch rate doubled, these Octagons are really good especially for the price on Screwfix.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS