Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horns  (Read 5180 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Horns
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:43 am »
On checking the sheep this morn spotted   one of my ram lambs from last year has a small hole in his horn near his head.
He is in  with another ram lamb so obviously  they have a run in now an then.
I know theres a post on here about what to do but l cant find it !
Could anyone advise  pls  :sheep:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
Re: Horns
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:29:39 pm »
Ok, so nobody has horned sheep ! Thanks for the response  :thumbsup:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 08:48:36 pm »
Have horned sheep, have no experience of holes in their horns and have only just sat down for the day. ;)

When one of my angora does broke her horn leaving a big hole to her head I plugged it with silicon sealant.  Not sure that was the right thing to do but it kept flies and dirt out and she lived with it like that for a few years before culling.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:26:09 pm »
put 3 or more in together - Put two rams in and they will often fight to the death - 3 they tend to get a pecking order but otherwise not fight much

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:48:33 pm »
Most of us are too busy to sit down all day at the computer Kelly58... its lambing, calving, chick time.  The weather means most TASER's are outside at this time of year working.  I think Dogwalker's idea seems sensible.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:53 pm »
sorry mine don't have horns!!! 

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:31:53 pm »
Mine have horns. One of mine appeared to have a crack in the horn where it joined the head, couldn't see it but it bled and she rubbed and fussed it a lot. Plastered yellow fly cream on it through the summer and eventually it healed on its own, but took a while. Not a hole as such, but maybe helpful.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:34:16 pm »
I would have thought a dab of Spot On would be good to discourage investigating flies and the silicone sealant sounds like a good idea after that too. Just keep an eye on it for any further problems.
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 09:03:22 am »
Yes, l sit down at a computer part of the day, thats my full time job. I rise at 6am,sort the animals then go to work.
When l return l check animals again then do whatever job is on the list for building  the house we part live in .
Before it goes dark I check animals again , with dogs. Then l sort out any paperwork and orders for the next day.
Along the way food is consumed. I know and fully understand  its a busy time of year for anyone who keeps animals, been doing it for 20 yrs. I felt a sense of urgency to sort the tups horn before anything gets infected.
Anything needed from vets l would pick up on route home from work.
Sorry if you had a long day Herdygirl  and it lrked you l was sat down at a computer, but its what pays for the build and the animals l keep. Many thanks to all who responded l AM very grateful  for your time.  :chook: :dog: :goat: :horse: :sheep:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:21 am »
I wasn't having a go at you Kelly58 I was trying to explain why you didn't get the immediate answer you expected from people who might know.  If you were offended by the explanation then I can't help that and I am sorry.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:09:29 am »
I saw your post yesterday and thought how has it got a hole in the horn? ... then got side tracked and did something else :)

How big is it, is there flesh showing, is it bleeding?  Do you actually need to do anything?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:54 am »
Have known these type of holes to get flystruck. Currently after the loss of a horn my wether still has a hole in the top of his head leading directly into the sinus...... it hasn't healed over the winter and now is the time to seal it  to prevent any potential for problems. I would go with a silicone sealant as has been suggested. 
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS