Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: retained placenta  (Read 2088 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
retained placenta
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:04 pm »
Lambing is going well, though I have a Hogg who still has "after gunk" as mum calls it left hanging. She lambed on Sunday evening. It was beginning to have a smell yesterday so was given betamox, and combivit for good measure. Nothing has shifted, can I repeat betamox or is that pointless? She is bright, eating, happily mothering lamby who is bouncing about like she is on springs!. Can pop into vet in the morning, but thought I'd ask you lovely people first.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: retained placenta
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:44 pm »
I think a trip to the vet, needs removing as  soon as possible.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:03 pm »
If an afterbirth is retained, it is the action of bacteria that helps it to break away. This is where the smell comes from. It is usually confined within the womb, so as long as the mother is well and eating, there's not a worry. The betamox lasts 48 hours so no need to repeat. It can take several days for the cleansing to come away, and as a vet, I know that if I try to pull it away before about 5 days after lambing or calving, it is more likely to tear, leaving some behind to cause problematic infections. As long as she is well, I would leave her until Friday, then if still hanging, you could get the vet out or pop her in to save the visit charges. Hope that helps

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 08:34:10 am »
Its come away its self this morning  :thumbsup:.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS