Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac P/Ovivac P question  (Read 2775 times)

Advertisement

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Heptavac P/Ovivac P question
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:55:37 am »
I have rung my vets to check about this, but they are all rushed off their feet, understandably, just now and am feeling impatient, so thought I would ask on here, sure someone will know.

We fairly recently took on the care of a group of sheep with pretty unknown care/medical history.  They will all go on to the same system as ours (Heptavac P) from this years' lambs, but it has taken a while to get established over the past year exactly who makes decisions about what (all sorted now!).

So for sheep born previous to this year, we have ewes, 1 crop to 5 crop who have never been vaccinated with anything as far as we can tell, who will need a double vaccination of Heptavac P.

But then we also have a group of ewe hoggs, who will go to the tup for the first time in November.  They had a double dose of Ovivac P as lambs (beginning of June, beginning of July) last year - do they still need a double dose of Heptavac P, or can they just have one as an annual booster when they have had the Ovivac P?

Hope that makes some sort of sense, thank you!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Heptavac P/Ovivac P question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:46:39 am »
Ovivac has fewer diseases covered than heptavac, so you won't get the benefit of heptavac unless you give them the two doses to start off as you would if they'd had nothing. Also it's helpful to get them all lined up so annual boosters are due before lambing.
Hope that helps

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Heptavac P/Ovivac P question
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:48:44 am »
Thank you!  Will be much easier once they are all in the proper system at the proper time, same as ours!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS