Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dandruff in the fleece  (Read 14118 times)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
Dandruff in the fleece
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:07:11 am »
My sheep have been shorn this week and I have noticed dandruff in the fleeces as well as remaining on the sheep, the shearer wasn't too sure what it was except that it didn't look like lice or scab ( they get cydectin injected and fly pourons are used during the summer which should cover against both of these, we don't dip them,  and no patches of fleece lost prior to shearing). It is noticeable as they are black sheep and I was quite keen for the fleeces to be used for spinning the fleeces otherwise look really healthy, it this normal, or any ideas on the cause welcome and would the fleeces still be suitable for spinning?

Thank you 

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Dandruff in the fleece
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:46:52 am »
am not a sheep expert but might it be there food or the weather

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:23:25 pm »
Don't worry it will wash out or be removed by carding.........its perfectly normal ;)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:31:52 pm »
well thats a relief woolly shepherd!
thanks for the replies I had wondered if it was something maybe mineral related but they are otherwise all very healthy, so good to know its normal it just seems a bit more noticeable than last year.

It was mentioned as a problem by a handspinner who had some of our fleece, she said that she couldn't remove it by washing and carding but maybe it just needs a bit of extra washing? I wan't too sure what to advise as I don't (yet) spin, other people who have tried spinning the fleece seem to have been pleased with it.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 02:28:39 pm »
Hi I have found it you just leave the fleece a mm longer ie not shave to the skin you can eliminate most of the dandruff in the fleece keeps spinners happy ;)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
Hi I have found it you just leave the fleece a mm longer ie not shave to the skin you can eliminate most of the dandruff in the fleece keeps spinners happy ;)
Absolutely ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 12:06:50 pm »
Will see what the shearer can do next time thanks!
For the fleeces I already have is it just a case of extra carding and washing to remove it then do you think?
Sorry about all the questions, as you can tell I know very little about the processing and need to learn more..

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »
Hi, having recently had some of my sheep shorn by a professional shearer ( in the past I have done them myself) I can only say that whilst I do not enjoy the physicality of shearing I am infinately happier with the results when i shear as opposed to the shearer. This may be because as part of my day job I trim poodles ( no the sheep don't look like poodles after! ;D) but I know that I can do a far more even trim and can adapt as I'm going along according to each sheep ( I know their fleeces etc) if you only have a few sheep this may be the only way you get satisfaction. I will be spending quite sometime checking out clippers before I buy to get what suits me best a pair of shears at 1.6kgs is way to heavy for me to think about doing any number of sheep and I am still trying to work out the blade lengths i reckon a blade leaving 2mm on suits my sheep just fine I get maximum fleece and no dandruff ( i too have black sheep its very noticeable) longer and you ar just loosing fleece.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:36:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply Kanusha, I would love to be able to shear my sheep but unfortunately I have back problems which means it would be a definate no and I can't persuade my OH to go on a (free) shearing course so have to rely on a professional shearer for this job - we have around 40 to be shorn. I will ask him about leaving a bit more fleece if he can, he still has to come back to do another 20 sheep so will see whether this is possible but not sure that he will change the blades. 
What black sheep do you keep?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 07:44:13 am »
Hi Blacksheep I keep ouessants. mostly they come in black but some other colours as well. yesterday i sheared one of my ewes. no kidding I popped her on my grooming table  shes 43cm at the shoulder ( same height as a cocker spaniel) and did her on the table FAB no bad back and in no time i have a lovely ( if small) fleece fortunately they are thought to have the highest ratio of fleece to body size for any sheep so despite their size you still get a reasonable amount. my advice change breeds  ;D

http://ouessants.blogspot.com

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 10:43:19 pm »
oops I guess your signature gives away the fact that you keep ouessants Kanisha - I think I somehow missed reading it!

They definately seem a very manageable size but I like my Zwartbles too much to change breeds even if they are a bit large! I maybe should try shearing my Zwartbles standing rather than turning them which I wouldn't have any chance with? Just not sure how many pieces the fleece would come off in..

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 06:59:13 am »
I shear my cotentin ewe standing shes over a 100kgs and there is no way i would be turning her! no trouble at all and the fleece comes off in one go, anythings possible  :)

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 01:32:56 pm »
Looks like I am going to have to give shearing them myself a go then.... but might put of trying until next year!
Any advice on good lightweight clippers and blades that will give you some clearance appreciated

many thanks

butterflymeadow

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 07:19:04 pm »

Hi there, we have a similar thing with our alpacas, we think it is mineral deficiency... but not sure what minerals... we changed the feed and gave seaweed and it is better now.

I think it is not normal, it might be that some breeders have it regular in their sheep, but I have a reason. Here in the UK, we lack in some parts selenium.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS