Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep not interested in hard feed  (Read 3335 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Sheep not interested in hard feed
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:01:56 am »
My ewes with new lambs are not interested in their feed, they are in a field that the grass is coming through, not bare but certainly not long!
The lambs are between 2 weeks to 4 days, I am presuming the grass is enough as they are not eating the feed. They have a Rockies mineral lick in the field too.
Sheep newbie so don't know whether i should be concerned as I know they need the extra calories etc whilst feeding.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Sheep not interested in hard feed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:21 am »
The lambs are too young for feed.

Are the ewes new to you?  Have they had hard food before?  Have they had this hard food before?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:55:28 am »
Oh yes I am aware the lambs won't be eating the feed  :)

No the ewes are not new to us, they were fed a few weeks before lambing, since being back out after lambing they are becoming more and more disinterested in the feed.
My concern is they are feeding very young lambs to be just eating grass.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:32 am »
My ewes are becoming disinterested in their ewe nuts, rolled barley etc. They come running when they see the bucket but, if no digestive biscuits are forthcoming,prefer all that lovely sweet grass that is coming up :yum: :yum: If the lambs are well and growing and happy then don't worry.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 08:05:28 pm »
Have you tried sugar beet pellets? my sheep absolutely love em and they help milk yield in cows too, but they contain a lot of energy.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 06:02:06 am »
They sound as if they are happy with Dr green :)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:41:51 am »
We don't feed either before or after lambing  :) sheep are designed to eat and survive on grass and do so very well if left to it!
If they don't want nuts they must be getting enough from grass alone, I'm sure they aren't deliberately not eating it to panic you !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:46 pm »
Ours left some feed in the troughs this morning so the grass must be coming. I can't see it but it must be there  ;D

Je

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 08:49:05 pm »
I wonder if you may be selling on some ewe lambs?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 12:22:42 pm »
Don't worry they will eat what they need ..... don't really need extra when There is enough grass (and this doesn't have to be enough for us to See!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS