Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: accidental?  (Read 7909 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
accidental?
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:17:07 pm »
does anyone have any idea how the word 'accidental'
fits into the name of this site?
is it by accident that we have found ourselves living this lifestyle!!!!!!!
ummhh :D
Langdon ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: accidental?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:37:45 pm »
It was certainly accidental for us and we named it!  ;D

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:47:39 pm »
are ye the ones who set up this then?
if so well done im impressed!!!
how was it accidental then, sorry if i seem nosy :D
Langdon ;)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 07:34:10 pm »
Probably like the rest of us Dan and Rosemary have a bad habit of collecting animals and if they are anything like me i always get people wanting to off load their animals onto me!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:13:09 pm »
We bought the place with no plan for it to become what it has. We only planned, vaguely, to grow a few veggies. And we liked the view. And, llike Topsy, it grew from there.

MM, yep, someone asked me to rehome two cats today. I said "no".

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:17:00 pm »
um well I had the land but wasnt using it so offered it to a local family to grow veg, keep chickens etc (husband was out of work, not mine theirs). This they did and all was going well, they bought pigs put up a 35' polytunnel everything hunky dory or so I thought. As winter approached  the husband decided that actually the animals were quite hard work, seeing as we are the opposite side of the village to where he lived (only a small village) so he came less and less frequently, leaving the animals with no food etc. If I hadnt fed them, put them away etc they would not have been seen to at all. When I suggested that once in a blue moon was not enough time to spend looking after above animals the husband kicked off, shouting and screaming in my face and telling me he had had enough and would not be back.
so I ended up dumped with all their animals etc, however on the plus side I have gained a large polytunnel and I do enjoy growing things, so for me very accidental, not asked for just thrown at me really, on winter days I struggle with it but spring and summer it could not be better and I love it.  :)
juliag

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:41:08 am »
some people are just unbeliveable,
as you said though 'his loss your gain' ;)
Langdon ;)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »
Some people eh unbelievable. Good for taking them on tho Its hard work but I'm sure you'll appreciate it in the long run.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:30:16 pm »
Thanks for that, I must say Defra were fantastic, as I really was chucked in the deep end. He refused to give me any paperwork for the pigs  (wouldnt answer my phone calls etc, When I contacted Defra to find out what I was supposed to do with pigs ( I really had no idea at all!!) They told me my land needed to be registered (it wasnt) and there was tons of paperwork and licences I was supposed to have. we quickly became on first name terms, I dont think they had ever came across anybody quite like me in the pig keeping world, not only was i clueless I really didnt want the 'bloody' pigs as they became known. The 'bloody' pigs knew I was scared of them and by this time they were big not the cute piglets they were. (I think the husband was scared of them as well and this is partly why he never saw to them). I would put food at the far end of their run and then sneak into their pig ark with fresh straw hoping they didnt see me enter. On my hands and knees I would spread out clean straw trying to finish the job before the blasted things finished their food and came after me! I stood no chance if they blocked my way out of the ark.  And then there was their geese. Big, mad and hungry, constantly. I didnt like the shed they had kept them in so I put them into a big barn at night and allowed them to free range during the day. I became mummy and woe betide my children if they came down the field. They would all charge at them flapping their wings in a pack. My son soon learnt a swift kick would do the trick but my poor daughter!!!!!!!!!!!! She was terrified of them.    :D
juliag

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »
Oh my god! I can't  believe you've persevered. I don't know if I would have in the same circumstances. Do you  still feel nervous around them or are you ok now?

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »
Ah now this is where the confessions come in.lol The pigs went off to slaughter pretty damn quickly I can tell you.but once again picture this....
We were lent a trailer by a friend........... Well you want to try getting 2 pigs in that dont want to go! We decided to have a trial run the night before to see if I could actually herd them where I wanted them to go with a board like you see on the telly. The Idea was to back the trailer between the pig pen and a barn to make a tunnel into the barn. This was where I was planning on leaving them (the barn) overnight before loading them up at about 4.30am the next morning. welllllll pigs might fly!!! in every direction other than where I wanted them to go! lol... I ended up opening the barn doors dropping the trailer ramp (it had gates on the ramp) which would give me a bit more tunnel room. However they ran around the barn squealing (playing!! I have to say I was the only one scared, they were having a wail of a time!) Before shooting up the ramp and refusing to come out !!! So that is where they stayed the night. They did have a big straw bed and were very cosy but if anyone thought I was taking them out again.......well not on your nelly!
And then there were the ear tags......... well dont even go there!!! I had to rope a neighbour in with that one with the promise of a free goose for xmas lunch!

Which brings us onto the Geese. One last swim in the pond and then they were shut into their barn for their final evening. Loaded beautifully into the horsebox and taken off to the lovely Stuart Perkins at castlemead organic poultry, where he charged me just £5. each to kill them, and dress them handing me back beautiful oven ready birds. several of which were promised to people for their help.
They had ducks which just made a terrible mess, hate to say it stuart perkins again at just £2.50 a bird they tasted fantastic.
The chickens well we still have them and they are great layers!!!
juliag

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 11:11:26 am »
Lol well good for you, that's what I'd have done too  will you ever dip your toe on and get more?

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
Brilliant story - The whoe experience must have got under your skin - you appear to be a dedicated member of the forum?   :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
kirsty

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »
yes although I love to have a good moan about it, now a bit of time has gone by yes we will do it again. my husband loves his chickens and egg sales at the gate are amazing. I have also raised chickens for the table which again thanks to the great Stuart perkins, he kills them and dresses them for me for £2.50 a bird. The pig pen is obviously all set up and ready to go but this time the pigs will be on my terms and I will get to know them as piglets so being afraid of them wont come into it. Gardening is my one really big love and to be able to grow the food we eat is what I really enjoy doing. Last summer we had roast dinners where we had produced not only the meat but also the vegetables on the plate. What a great feeling!  :D :D
juliag

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:51:44 pm »
We never set out to be 'smallholders'...just wanted a few pet pigs following retirement...we distributed the pork from our first killed pig around family and friends and the demand for more got us thinking...six years on we have a 40 acre Farm and Farm Shop Business, a herd of Dexter Cattle, Gloucester and Tamworth Pigs, Balwen, Shropshire and Southdown Sheep, Goats, Ducks and Chickens...never a dull moment and a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction...accidental or not.

Farmer,  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS