Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting land for horses - good idea? going rate?  (Read 2391 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Renting land for horses - good idea? going rate?
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:58:06 pm »
There is a prospect of us having 2.25 acres of land attached to the (new) property we are looking at. My gut feeling, inspired by posts on this site, is that we should not rush to do anything on the land but plan and think ( but maybe have a few hens to start with of course!!!!!) Currently the land is in two equally sized enclosures, there is a field shelter and it is home to two horses. Again, gut feeling is the land has been trampled all winter by these beasts  :)  and needs a break but if i was to allow this to continue, and the present owner might want this to last another few months, what is a reasonsble rent. There is also a loose box for each horse and a tack room.  I have been taking note of the posts about the damage horses have done to grass.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Renting land for horses - good idea? going rate?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:25 pm »
depends on where you are in the country?

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:24 pm »
Duh! Sorry. North Wales. 15 miles southof Caernarfon.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:54 pm »
I wouldn't have thought it a very expensive part of the country to keep horses. If it's for one owner's use with two horses you have to figure around £15-20 pw per horse for the grazing and stables, maybe less if there's no electric/water. Make sure you have an agreement in place as to maintenance in the meantime. I am a horse owner myself that wouldn't deal with other horse owners  ;)

Unless the ground has been allowed to get sick, if its rested it should recover soon enough in the summer.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:13 pm »
I echo everything lord flynn says!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:42 pm »
That is helpful (your Lordship)  and the sort of figure we were thinking of. It helps us plan.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:24 pm »
And thank you Hafod, cross posted with you.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:39:09 am »
I guess its all about how neighbourly you want to be - if the lands been wet it will potentially be cut up and compressed by the horses and really the best way to deal with that is to take the stock off over sow some grass seed on the bare patches and get a friendly farmer to roll the field whilst the growing weather is not to dry for re-seeding.

However if your not in any rush a bit of neighbourlyness does no harm and a bit of extra funds ( to pay for grass seed, rolling and potentially the odd fence repair form the horse rubbing or leaning over and perhaps other things) whilst you get your head round what you want to do

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS