Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movement licences for goats .....  (Read 4552 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Movement licences for goats .....
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:09:08 pm »
Oh dear!!!  Or words to that effect.

I had it all arranged or so I thought.  I was having 4, maybe 5 young Toggenburgs.  The lady I was getting those offf, has pygmy goats, and was taking one of my castrated boys.

I rang up today for the movement licence, and in the course of the conversation, the man at the animal health mentioned the 6 day standstill when buying goats in.

It would seem that neither I nor the seller had even thought about the implications of this.  I think it affects the lady at the other end more than me.  She cannot sell and then buy within 6 days.  Had/if we go ahead we are breaking the law, and at best will get a severe letter the man said.

Thats a blow, as we were killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.  Because of fuel costs, I am not making two journeys.  So looks like the lady will be not having the pygmy, as its unlikely she will want to come all this way at a later date.

Rules are rules I suppose.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Movement licences for goats .....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »
Grrrrrrr!!
Even if you both trailered them, and didnt have both at the same holding at the same time?  would need several drivers and organising, and a quarantine pen?
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:10:16 pm »
Could you not meet halfway and swap between trailers in a car park? Thats how goats are quite often moved if long distances are involved.

But you have only 6 daysin England, its 13 (yes thirteen!) in Scotland.

However, the stand still is only for animals moving OFF, so you can bring as many animals as you want ONTO your holding, but then none can leave within 6 days. Surely there must be a way round this? She moves hers off the holding on leads, then you unload yours, and then load hers  or somehting like that?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:27:16 pm »
According to the man I spoke with, he is adamant there is no way round it......I don't think meeting half way, as was the norm in days gone by, is allowed now, after the foot and mouth etc.  and on the movement form you have to say what time you got there, loaded, left etc.  not sure the M6 services would suffice as a loading place!!!

How many people taking nannies to billies etc.  obey the 5 days isolation rule?  Yet, you can go to a show, or the  vet without any restrictions put on you.

I do understand the risk of cross infection thing.  I told the animal health man that I was willing to clean out the trailer at the other goat owners farm, and put new bedding down, but no still.

I know a lot of people would go ahead and not give the matter a thought, but once you are on the wrong side of things, you get checks on your livestock and stuff, so not worth the bother.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »
Did you also know that if you have pigs its an automatic 20 day standstill for everything (in Scotland)!!!

Its one of my husbands biggest gripes about me having pigs!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:38 pm »
Thats the problem, if you ask these questions the answers aren't what you want to hear. I am sure if you would have just filled in the forms, no one would have picked up anything...

I still cant see why this is the answer - whats wrong with swapping goats somewhere... after all if you take stock to the  sales and then buy some to bring home exactly the same situation with trailer etc etc

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:47:00 am »
she takes the goats off the holding 5 minutes before yours arrive. clean the trailer and load at whatever location you found. what rule have you then broken. stock are allowed to be moved.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:10 am »
These rules are surely in place to protect the goats from spread of disease. I believe  the movement period in England is 5 days but in Scotland it is 13? I read recently that the English law is going to soon change to be in accordance with Scotlands 13 days as many diseases only show symptoms after 6 or 7 days thus making a mockery of the 5 day rule!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 03:50:10 pm »
Breeding males moving for breeding purposes do not cause a standstill. Equally females moving for breeding pruposes (ie to get mated) do not cause a standstill either. Its a shame your male isn't entire Roxy....

I didn't know that about pigs Lee, that may have totally scuppered my plan to get weaners now.

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:00:53 pm »
Pigs, I believe, are 20 days standstill Beth.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:24 pm »
It's not just the pigs, it's also the goats, sheep and cattle that are under a 20 day. If you have pigs then all movements are 20days!!
It's a pain!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:32:54 pm »
Thats awful. I was going to get some weaners in March/April, but there's no way I can now. I can't manage to leave 20 day gaps between shows in the summer- the shows are closer together than that. The only other thing I can do is wait until the end of August and get them then. I better go and do some reading about this.

Beth

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:09:27 am »
can't you apply for a new holding number just for your pigs say that they are in one plot that then would be a diffrent unit and not effect the other animals. check with defra about the shows there may be diffrent rules.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:30:33 am »
Beth - if you get your weaners sooner rather than later, no goat shows until May? There are much easier to fatten over summer than in winter anyway!

Yes you can apply for separate holding numbers, but it gets quite complicated about fences, isolation facilities and moving between holdings etc. I had a discussion with Animal health about it when I was trying to get two goats mated at different locations, and it caused all sorts of logistical problems. Fortunatley pigs had gone before that, and new ones only to come in in April. Phone up your Animal health office, they were quite helpful here in Tweedbank.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 12:42:09 am »
Yes, but I was going to keep the weaners for 16 weeks, and its only 12 weeks until the first show, although, I don't think I have another show for maybe 20 days after that one... I could probably apply for a segregration (sp) thing, as the pigs wouldn't be in with the goats, but its still a bit of a hassle. I might see when my local lady will have piglets ready.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS