Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should lamb poo look like?  (Read 3539 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
What should lamb poo look like?
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:55 am »

I'm really sorry for this one, but I know I won't be the only person wondering!!

Our turnout field is suddenly covered in spats of runny yellow poo. It looks very much like the cecal poos that hens do (do  ;) ). I take it that's normal, but how would I know!?  ;D

I know that lamb poo starts of black and sticky (meconium), then goes yellow as the colostrum works its way through.  But what are the other stages, at what ages do they occur, and what are the things to watch out for? (apart from getting squirted with it)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: What should lamb poo look like?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:24 am »
Sticky yellow poo is from the colostrum stage ish - just watch for sticky tail on the lambs with really milky ewes - pull the tail up and separate from body if stuck and wipe off mess

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What should lamb poo look like?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:48 am »
Big Light beat me to it  :D  That sticky bum poo can be anything from a mild annoyance which the dam can lick off, to a hardened plug which stops the lamb from passing any more.  You can wash it off if it's not too set, or pull it off if there's just a bit, but otherwise it needs to be (very delicately) dagged - another use for your trusty Swiss Army knife scissors. Oh and point the lamb's bum away from you just in case the pressure has built up  :o
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:19:29 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS