Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horned lambs getting stuck in the fence  (Read 3412 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Horned lambs getting stuck in the fence
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:52 am »
I hope that someone can offer some advice.  Last year for about a month my WH lambs got stuck in the stock fencing.  They pushed their heads through presumably to nibble some grass in the adjoining field and couldn't release themselves because of the angle of their horns.  It was extremely frustrating and I had one particuarly stupid lamb who used to get stuck 3 or 4 times every day and it isn't easy to release them by yourself.   Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this happening?  I was thinking of putting up 3 strands of electric around the field for the month or so that it seems to be a problem.  Any other ideas?  You would have thought they would learn but they don't seem to! 
Helen

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Horned lambs getting stuck in the fence
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:19:05 am »
Our Badger Face lambs do this quite often, irrespective of whether or not the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.  I just check them three times a day and haul them out until their heads become too large to get through.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:19:44 am »
Same here. Our wilts lambs do it too.  We do the same as MF. Electric strand sounds like a poss plan but I wouldn't guarantee it will work

Tregwyr

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 12:09:30 am »
Not a good idea to use electric fencing with horned sheep, I don't think it is permitted under the DEFRA welfare code. If they do get stuck they will get shocked continually and that could have really bad consequences.

You could supplement the stock fence with green barrier plastic netting like the stuff builders use it's quite cheap and can be fastened to the stock fence with cable ties.

http://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/1m-x-50m-green-temporary-plastic-barrier-fencing-mesh

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:34:42 am »
We use windbreak mesh, there is nothing for lambs to stick their heads through,its quick to put up you just tack it onto the fence post and there is the added bonus that it is pretty cheap.

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:12:25 am »
Thanks for your replies.  I will investigate the temporary plastic fencing and cable tie option. 
Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS