Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep wormer help please!  (Read 2852 times)

Gingerboy

• Joined Jul 2014
Sheep wormer help please!
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:05:07 pm »
I've just wormed my pet Shetlands with oramec drench because one of them has lost a lot of weight within a very short time. Which other wormer would I need to use because oramec doesn't cover everything and I been looking on the internet but there is so many on the market it's making me confused.
Thanks in advance

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Sheep wormer help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »
Probably worth a chat with your vet.
They are likely to be able to advise you whether there is likely to be a need for flukicide, if there is likely resistance to Oramec, and can probably do a poo sample to check whether anything is left after the worming.
They will also be able to advise you further on your thin one, and next steps for testing or treatment of worming doesn't help.
SCOPS is a really useful website for advice on when and how to use wormers.
Hope that helps
Suzanne

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:31 pm »
Look at your groups, don't go by brand, but by they're active ingredient. Have a chat to vet, he ll probably ask you to do a worm count to see what you are targetting. 

Eta.  If they ve not been done for fluke, it's a possibility it s there.  Don't think it comes up on fec either, not sure, but I'm sure some one will clarify yay or nay.  Speak to vetin'ry

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:14:42 pm by Hellybee »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:59 am »
AGREE - you need to peak to vet who will know what the local resistance profile is.

What was the rationale behind using the Oramec?

If the sheep has lost alot of weight it is worth doing a faecal egg count (with on the individual sheep or the flock) to see what the problem is and then drenching to the specific problem. You can also do another FEC two weeks after drenching to see if the drench has worked.

There is a big problem with wormer resistance now so it is worth taking the trouble to be accurate in this matter.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS