Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's hailing so lambs are coming!  (Read 1909 times)

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
It's hailing so lambs are coming!
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:20:56 am »
Lambing started last weekend, and until yesterday it was perfect lambing weather. So how many lambs had arrived by Friday night? A grand total of 6, including one set of twins.

Driving hail in my face at 7.30 yesterday morning, temperature has dropped 5 degrees and there's a freezing wind from the northwest, which fortunately we are sheltered from. So needless to say, 4 ewes have lambed in the last 24 hours. I hope they keep on coming, though, as there are 16 with yellow backsides which need to lamb before Wednesday, when they will be joined by 12 more with red backsides.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: It's hailing so lambs are coming!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:27:00 am »
Same here!  Ours seemed to have got stuck, only had about 5 per day for the last 4 days or so, leaving us with about 240 to go at a time when we would have expected to have under 30.  Can't decide if this is a good thing, as my baby is due now, so good that they are getting on, but horrid for lambs.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:47:37 am »
Your ewes look as if they're managing just fine Garmoran  :thumbsup:  Typical though isn't it that they deliver in the blizzards, having lain around for ages sunbathing when it was nice.

Best of luck with your own delivery Mowhaugh.  We'll want pics of the new arrival  ;D ;D ;D

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:16:05 pm »
Total whiteout here now, if we get snowed in all the sheep are bound to lamb at once and I am bound to go into labour.  Hadn't planned for a home birth, though!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:51 pm »
Hadn't planned for a home birth, though!

At least you'll have all the equipment to hand - ropes 'n' that  ;D

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 01:21:57 pm »
Total whiteout here now, if we get snowed in all the sheep are bound to lamb at once and I am bound to go into labour.  Hadn't planned for a home birth, though!

Hmm you seem to be at one of those busy points in life! Exciting though!  :excited:

Fortunately my own children arrived at fairly quiet points of the year, although a trip to Glasgow last month in horrendous rain to celebrate an 18th birthday made me realize how lucky I was when trailing back and forth to Inverness in March 1997.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS