Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep going to school fare  (Read 2804 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Sheep going to school fare
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:35 am »
I have a few bottle fed sheep my little boys school has asked if I could bring them in for the school summer fate. My Q is would i need to get the school to set up a CPH and how would that work with stand still times etc? Thanks guys

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Sheep going to school fare
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:53:15 am »
Ring your animal health office - My neighbour has done it and was told no need etc as the playing fields are in the middle of a town and no nearby animals etc etc... and he got that on an email.

Same school, year later, different animal health office said CPH is a must and 6 day standstill etc..... so not happening.

Id ring and ask!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:02:17 am »
I guess they would need a type of licence an agricultural show would get where there is no standstill at their end but you observe the standstill on the return home. Or a performing animal licence. Whether it will be worth the hassle I don't know.

In my experience animal health give conflicting advice and eaml2 would be the people to contact.

I would also say it is worth considering carefully what interaction there will be between the lambs and the public and the measures/insurance you have in place to prevent risk to the public. Hand wipes etc.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:06:12 am »
If you take the lamb in a trailer and it does not leave that trailer (I have seen people setting up some hurdles round the ramp (and ramp let down but supported on the ground so it stays horizontal) then of course this means there is no movement at all, as lamb doesn't put his/her foot onto another (farm or not) ground.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:46:42 am »
We took sheep into the village for a hand-clipping demonstration at Wool on the Wall last year.  There were to be no other livestock present, but we wanted the sheep on the green.

Animal Health had to grant us a permit to 'disapply the 6/20 day standstill'.  Had there been other livestock there from other holdings, this permit could not have been granted.

The permit is for the purposes of animal performance and/or when the movement involves livestock from only one holding, and where the destination is a non-agricultural premises which does not have a holding number - for instance, a village fete, a school.  It cannot be used for livestock going to shows.

We had to complete a regular movement license as well.

It was all fairly simple to do, but allow plenty of time to locate the right person to talk to, for them to pass your application to the wrong authority in the first instance, etc ::)

Note that we are in England; rules may differ in Scotland or Wales.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
Hi, we keep our animals AT school so not sure on the movement side of things, although I agree that ARAMs or your local animal health (the advantage of talking to the local branch of course is that if you follow their advice to the letter you'd be hard pushed to be pulled up on anything by them!) will probably be able to arrange the same as you would for a livestock show or similar.

In terms of hand washing etc, you will need to have direct access to warm/hot running water and soap to avoid any HSE issues, and plenty of good signage, and not be in an area where people will be encouraged to eat. If you can get them to give you a pitch right near a toilet block the wI'll be open on the day, and as far away from the icecream Man or whatever as possible, you should be fine!  The school might need to check its insurance too, we have a bolt-on policy for ours as it covered small animals but not livestock, though I think that's more because of the pigs than the sheep!

Don't be put off by all this though if you do want to go, a few phone calls will solve the majority of these issues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS