Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: shepherdess feeders  (Read 8580 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: shepherdess feeders
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:55:17 pm »
I have to agree that they are a big spend for just one or two lambs but if you can't be there to regularly feed younger lambs then it does come down to animal welfare.

Not sure this stacks up for me.  They can't go straight onto the shepherdess on day 1 or day 2, can they?  They need to be trained?

I put ours straight on to the Shepherdess, and the vast majority do just go straight on and suck.  But for the first couple of days, I would still be checking them to ensure they have fed at the same intervals as I would bottle feed.  And of course there are always the ones that are harder work to get going!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:04:07 pm »
We have a shepherdess, I couldn't be without it now. Each year we raise between 15 and 18 tame lambs, they go on it for 5 - 5 1/2 weeks. Growth rates are improved with lambs on the feeder and can wean slightly earlier. We have 7 on it at the moment and they've had 7 litres of milk (full bucket) twice a day.

We put ours on as soon as they come to us at a couple of days old, obviously for first few days I put them on the feeder every few hours but within a couple of days they get the idea.

Think we've raised around 45 lambs in 3 years on our feeder and only 1 has never taken to it and had to remain on the bottle. Huge time saver and much more natural, I don't like leaving young lambs overnight without milk and this is the biggest advantage for me.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 12:37:06 pm »
I thought I'd seen you say you had to get them onto cold milk before you could put them on the shepherdess or they were too greedy and guzzled you out of house and home... or maybe that was someone else?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS