Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with ear tag types please  (Read 4844 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Help with ear tag types please
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:31:34 pm »
Hello folks,

I need to tag my lambs pretty pronto and it seems a complete minefield.  I know I need one EID tag (yellow) and can also have another tag in any colour I choose.  What is the point of this second tag? 

I have 6 lambs, they are likely all going for slaughter, but they could be registered and I may decide to keep a ewe lamb.

It seems I can only get 10 or more tags also.  Is this the same anywhere, even for replacement tags?

My main questions is, what shape of tag should I get?  I quite like the look of the bubblegum ones from Fearing as they look small. 

Many thanks.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Help with ear tag types please
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »
I get my tags from Shearwell and they are very helpful and happy to post out just a few.  Last time I ordered just two sets of replacement tags.

Why two tags? Hmm. In case one gets lost?  Slaughter lambs just need one.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Help with ear tag types pleaseears
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:59:55 pm »
I don't tag mine until I am ready to  move them as they can rip their ears being so small. As I hate tagging anyway I really don't want to be re tagging them

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:41:45 pm »
That's what I'm worried about Herdygirl, but I've heard when they're bigger it can be a bit of a job pinning them down for it! I guess that's the same for any task though, feet trimming, etc etc.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 11:27:48 pm »
If you use your legs to hold them against the wall or hurdle or OH, one person gently holds the lamb's head while the other gets the ear and tags.  if you grab the lamb and hold too tight they wriggle like hell, quietly, firmly is the key. lambs are good to practice on if you want to perfect your turning technique....while they are small.  Get a small pen to work in, take in mum and practice.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »
Hadn't thought about practicing with the lambs, good suggestion! Might also get them used to being handled.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 02:25:01 pm »
We don't tag them when they're little

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 04:39:47 pm »
I think the point of two ear tags is so that the people in Brussels can justify their existence.  I have a bag of red replacement tags (which can no longer be used) and a bag of identical tags in two colours where the yellow has no EID (which can no longer be used).  My Sheep Tagging box is a short tour of expensive EU regulations which stayed in place for less time than it took me to use up the tags.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 08:53:49 pm »
I get mine fro Roxan and they do small numbers. They are all E-id. If I am slaughtering I unly get a yellow tag with my UK number on.

If I am registering them I get a pair for each sheep. One is always yellow the other is a colour of your choice. My colour system is simple - White for my white ryelands, Blue for my coloured ryelands ( cos they dont do brown) and purple for the coloured ryelands from white parents.

The info on my registered lambs tags is based on my breeds flockbook society requirements which includes the Letter for the year of birth ( this year is V) a registration number starting from 01 for the very first lamb I ever registered, my flock number and a sequence number starting 0000 for the total number of tags purchased. All this information fits neatly and clearly on to one E-id tag and in the case of my registered sheep it is duplicated on the yellow tag.

The tags are small and light and fit in little ears. I tag mine by 6 months or earlier if I move them from the holding.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS