Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting my girls 'served'  (Read 2302 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Getting my girls 'served'
« on: May 07, 2015, 01:18:30 pm »
Hello everyone,

Just thinking (a long way) ahead! I've kept milking my two goats over the winter and they are still producing lots of milk but I imagine that I will need to get them back in kid this Autumn/Winter.

I haven't got room to keep a billy myself so I will need to take the girls to be served, can anyone advise me where to look for a billy stud? I live in Stroud, Gloucestershire and there are very few fellow goat keepers around. Most people seem to buy them in as kids and keep them as pets.

My goats were cae tested when I got them a year ago but I haven't tested them since, is this something that I would need to do also?

Any advice most gratefully received! Thank you  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Getting my girls 'served'
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:25:26 pm »
Depending what breed your girls are - there must be a goatkeeper (with males) near enough for you! There is a Gloucestershire Goat group, so they may be your first point of call. If your girls are still in milk in the autumn, then boarding may not be an option (most people only take goatlings)

If you are solely interested in milk from your current milkers, than breed as such may not be the most important factor - but think what you want to do with the kids - keep yourself any females as future milkers, sell to someone else as future milkers, eat them etc etc. Definitely mull over what to do with male kids - unlikely that they would have breeding value.

Getting a new CAE test done over the summer is definitely worthwhile - you may not find a breeder nearby that would let you use the services of their male without it.

Making contact with any potential stud owner before the breeding season is also important, just out of courtesy if anything.

If you look at the BGS website - there is a section on with all the show dates/locations - some (not all) of them will have males so you can go and see them at their best!

Getting a billy rag (yes it is what you think it is - a smelly rag that has been liberally swept of boy's most stinky parts and then sealed in a double plastic bag to keep it's aromoa) is also very helpful to detect when the girls are in season - again most stud owners can help with that.

Also make sure that your girls' vaccinations are up to date - the stress of travelling (and possibly boarding) can make them more prone to pasteurella.

Think about sponging to get them into season at the same time.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
Thank you! That's all really useful information.

My girls came to me in-kid and had three boys which was really disappointing. Somehow I managed to sell them on as 'pets' and they are all doing really well. We were supposed to eat them but.......

I will try the Gloucestershire goats branch and as you suggest, attend some shows. My girls certainly aren't pedigree so I'll be looking for a chap with low standards. If only there was an online dating website for goats!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:53:18 pm »
You should try and determine the end result you would like as you breed you should try to improve as you go. You could check with whoever you got them from what their breeding is and go from there. If you look on the net for the different breed societies they will have individual web sites you could look at advertising their own goats including males.. Local societies also may have males advertised at an appropriate time for females needing mating . don't go down the road of anything will do to get them in kid if you want to keep females !!  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »
I'm sure I bought my first goat - a pure Saanen - from someone near Stroud. The British Goat Society would be able to tell you. I know her goats are registered as she shows them.

largeblackpigs

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 10:47:14 am »
Hi I'm in Hereford and have a registered Golden Guernsey male who is available for stud services, he is proven and has sired several kids.  PM me if you want some more details.

Best Wishes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS