Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fox Control  (Read 6568 times)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Fox Control
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:03:08 pm »
Lost lambs last year, shot the culprit (12g). Lost one lamb this year, shot the culprit (I saw this fella chasing in daylight hours and squeaked him off) and shot his friend on the same spot the evening after, nothing the evening after that (thankfully). Both years I had a fox trap set in the area for a month pre-lambs (caught a lot of cats!). How do other people sort the problem? Any proven ideas new or old? Does stockholm tar actually work or is it a myth? I am on my own and the fields are small and well spread across the country so lamping isn't a great option, I never have and really don't want to snare...

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Fox Control
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:40:56 pm »
We've snared 2, but we only set them when we are about and check them every hour or so. Not the most humane, but successful so far. It seems really sad; such a beautiful animal, but has to be done :-(
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »
What age were the lambs when the fox took them?
Were they all healthy?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:15:22 pm »
Cross bred Lleyn lambs. Circa 2-3 days (ish) and yes they were healthy. Under first time lambed ewes/ewe lambs. One lamb last year had a fractured skull with four canine marks so didn't look too clever for a day or two but pulled through.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 06:56:06 pm »
Isn't snareing illegal ???

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:52 pm »
No I don't believe it is as long as the snare is set to hold rather than kill ie. it does not progressively tighten when the animal struggles to free itself

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:30:21 pm »
My neighbour swears by spraying the lambs, top and tail, with Pledge furniture polish.  Sounds hilarious I know but he doesn't seem to lose any.  He takes his lambs up to the top field which is very isolated and next to a plantation so lots of cover for foxes, when the lambs are well mothered up at 2-3 days.  So the lambs and ewe recognise each other by sound as well as smell by then.  I'm surprised really that lambs that age were taken.  Here foxes are a real danger during birth, when one lamb is up and the second is being born, so a fox can sneak in and take the firstborn.  This is a problem because the ewe has gone off on her own to give birth, so has no mates to help defend the lambs.  Once they are older, the ewes all sit in a circle at night, with all the lambs to the inside, and they can give a fox a really good duffing, dogs too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 09:10:26 pm »
 Have  a look at ORLDEN fox repellent from Ireland  , tried it last year seems to work  .   we are part of a fox control club , also use traps .  We have  thousands of acres of  trees  in and around all fields so loose  20 - 50 lambs per year always twins from young mothers  up to a week old . 

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 05:11:09 pm »
Snare.
Shoot.
Trap.
Dig.

And then keep fingers crossed.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:09 pm »
Shep - If you are losing that many and have many acres of trees etc. . . . i'd get together a good little hound pack, a few guns and a terrier man, and spend the month before lambing having a cull in the area.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 06:57:54 pm »
We're lucky enough to live within earshot of the local hunt and have no difficulty with foxes - we have truly free range ducks and no lambs lost.  A neighbour gets a chap in with night sights on a 22 which she says is very effective.

I wonder if hunts used to discourage fox control so they had something to chase and now encourage it so they stay within the law. 
Never ever give up.

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:11:46 pm »
I want to suggest you try guardian llamas just because your posts about it would likely be so entertaining ;D
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:22:02 pm »
PORTERLAUREN  the fox control club already  hunts out dens , you've never been to Argyll ?  the thousands of acres of  SPRUCE  are ours and beyond that 10's of thousand acres , so you kill local foxes and more move in ,  its something you have to live with , and for some eagles also take lambs

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »
We're lucky enough to have fields right up on the grouse moors in North Yorks and the gameeepers are sh!t hot at keeping predator numbers right down.  No shilly-shallying with dogs and huntsmen possibly with hidden agendas not to get numbers too low around here!  :thumbsup:

My biggest headache is lampers with lurchers not thoroughly under control and dog walkers with badly behaved pets.  I lost several turkeys and ducks over winter to those.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »
Shep, yes I have, and now I see your problem. You just have to do what you can and keep your  :fc:

Hevx - It's a shame you've had trouble with irresponsible lurchermen, it gives the rest of us a bad name!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS