Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb rejects mother!  (Read 4523 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Lamb rejects mother!
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:28:59 pm »
I've never had this before; Little Miss Independent will not have anything to do with her mum!

Mum is a shearling, a first-time mum, a Manx x Shetland.  The other lamb is very happy and very full ;)

Indi runs away from mum - I assume there may have been some kicking / head-butting early on, as Dulcie Grey got used to these funny wee things and what they do down there, and Indi is now having none of it.

DG isn't the type that'll follow her lamb into a trailer, and I don't want to disrupt the whole flock down there trying to catch her and bring her up, so Indi's in a dog cage in the house being offered milk every couple of hours.

She took her colostrum (in two feeds) thankfully, but ever since has resisted the bottle fiercely.  This morning (day 2) she was sucking away on her pen-mates testicles.  Hurrah!  She's hungry!  So I thought she'd take the bottle for sure.  Nope. 

I'm sure she'll come around - they always do - but I so want this one to survive! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Lamb rejects mother!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 02:40:38 pm »
She does sound a bit mixed up bless her.  :fc:  She gets on ok
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 02:56:04 pm »
Did make me smile - hope she's OK. You can sell her for the second "Fifty Shades" movie.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:41 pm »
The only time I've seen this, the lamb was blind.  Eyes looked normal but no vision.  Mum tried hard but in the end we had to pen them, then no problem.
I hope that's not the case with your lamb  :sheep:   If she is blind, she will need her mum.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:52:45 pm »
If anyone can get her to latch on, you will xx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:41:05 pm »
If anyone can get her to latch on, you will xx

Aw, shucks - thanks Hellybee (blush)

I'll watch carefully for the possibly blind thing, FW - she seems to see me and want to follow me alright, but maybe she's following my voice...  :thinking:

Now then, Indi, I'm your mother now.  You have to put up with being petted like a dog, that's the only way I know how.  Mind, I prattle (bleat) on all the time, so that's probably pretty handy for being a sheepy mum...  :idea:

She did have a small sook at the last feed - probably only about 20ml, but she was actually sooking, not just swallowing what was dribbling into her mouth  ::) and not needing to chew on my finger to be sooking either.   Small steps...  :fc:

The irony is, I have reared all the others so far this year on tough love - you're offered a feed 6, 4 or 3 times a day, depending on age, and if you don't want it, fine, I'll be here again in a few hours.  None of them has died (although Sippy, Indi's pen-mate, did make a determined effort to do so - but in the end, even he decided to sook properly.)  But because I want Indi to live so much (as well as being a real character and a very nice shape, she really has the most incredibly soft fleece :spin:), I am being less tough - so she'll probably take longer to come around! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 10:03:11 am »
She's feeding!   :excited:

Not big feeds, and I have to do sneaky surruptitious getting the nasty teat in her mouth, but she's questing and then when the teat is in her mouth, sooking away.   :relief:

I had them out running around last night (after BH in bed - he has ponies in the back door and hound pups sprawling on armchairs, but doesn't think lambs should be in the house, hrmph) and I don't think she's blind... She did fall off the wee step between sitting room and kitchen the first time, but even sighted young things do that  :D and she mostly managed it thereafter.  I will keep watching her for signs she does or does not see.

She really does have the most gorgeous soft fleece... :spin:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:36 am »
Hoorah! :)

...love the horse at the back door!!!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 10:55:08 am »
A very posh back door!! Glad Lamby is doing well :thumbsup:

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 10:57:14 am »
Oh ! Dont you have one ? Its all the rage these days on smallholdings, or so my shetland Zak tells me  :roflanim:
Always something new to learn with animals hey ! Maybe the lambie has heard about sweetbreads being a delicacy in some restaurants and wanted to check it out  :roflanim: Good luck with your Unique  lambie  Sally  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS