Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking lamb to vet without mother  (Read 3039 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Taking lamb to vet without mother
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:29:42 am »
Quick question - can I take a 3 week old lamb to the vet on its own, without mum, or is this going to cause problems? She's got a foot problem, I think she's been kicked or stepped on but it isn't improving.

If it's going to cause too much distress, or risk her not taking it back I'll call the vet out. The mum is a good mum.

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Taking lamb to vet without mother
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:57:39 am »
lamb will be fine, mum might be a bit upset but it won't be for long.  hope it gets better soon

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:04:37 am »
I did it last year and there wasn't a problem taking the lamb on its own.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:14:28 pm »
I wouldn't keep it away from its mum any longer than necessary, but yes, to the vet and back will be fine.  They'll both howl but it's not life-threatening. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:15 pm »
Thanks all, I called the vet out in the end.  It was his first visit so thought it best to touch base with him, and he's now happy to leave jabs with me, give me bottles of spray etc.

Huge foot abscess, lots of pus and some Pen and Strep later the lamb seems much improved. :thumbsup:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS