Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: here come the Lazy beds  (Read 11434 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: here come the Lazy beds
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 11:54:46 am »
Come on bucketman, get digging - we want to see these beds  :farmer: :garden: :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :hungry: :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:52 pm »
I recall reading some biography - forgotten whose - years ago where the principle character as a kid was cutting up seed spuds "no more than two eyes per piece"

Come harvest all my small spuds go in a seperate sack to use as seeds .. as much 'cos I can't be bothered peeling the little 'uns. And they can go in a smaller hole.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 02:34:55 pm »
Going for the muck tomorrow. Also need to get some seaweed?. The spuds are chitting on the window sill so I have a couple of weeks also need to watch the weather we have had snow hail and sun shine today. I have not been sat round I have 2 boats that need some work doing to them

One in the water one waiting to go in the shed

And one wait for a paint job ;D
I am going to live the dream

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 05:11:07 pm »
OK - you're forgiven  ;D  I'll wait patiently.  Haven't planted mine yet either, for similar reasons.  Do you fish from your boats?

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 06:08:29 pm »
  Do you fish from your boats?
I have done, but dont really have time. We sort of rent them out to fishermen sell the permits as well. All the boats round here get rented out for fishing. We where think of just having one a family could just take out on a nice day, but not fishing if you see what I mean.
But the spuds will be in by the end of the month we are a few weeks behind weather wise up here.
I also have my proper job to do. :roflanim:

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 04:37:36 pm »
First load of muck is here will throw it down tomorrow. Also been thinking. As has been suggested in this topic could get the first earlys a bit closer together say only use the first 15ft. That would do 2 thing's
1 cut the folding bit down by half for now
Give me a rest from it then
2 Use the next 15ft for main crop
Any left over seed spuds could go in them potato growing bag's so it wont be a total waste if the Lazy Beds go wrong

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 08:13:22 am »
pgvet, why do you peel your home grown spuds? A lot of the nutrients and flavour is in or just under the skin!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:13 pm »
pgvet, why do you peel your home grown spuds? A lot of the nutrients and flavour is in or just under the skin!

I don't peel the first earlies.. but I have scab endemic in the soil and that hits the maincrop.. we only store the mildest affected but it's still not pretty.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »

I don't peel the first earlies.. but I have scab endemic in the soil and that hits the maincrop.. we only store the mildest affected but it's still not pretty.

Here we have people from abroad stay with us and the wife does not peel new potatoes for them. But after their meal we find a little pile of peelings on there plate.
Back to the beds.

Half done. We have the morning's off next week. So will get the rest of the muck then and may try and have a day out at the beach to get some Sea weed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
You're going to have monster spuds with that lot  :o :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud: :spud:

We're just off to rotavate muck into our rows before I get the tubers in.  I'm growing half Setanta (brilliant roasted), quarter Cara (for mash) and quarter Picasso (not grown that last one before).  The drawback of growing in rows is that you have to earth up, but it does help with the weed control.  Depending on how you  get on Bucketman, we might try lazy beds next year.

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 08:10:22 pm »
The bits that get folded over. You use some earth out of here for Earthing up. Up here the 2 dicthes help with drainage.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 08:45:04 pm »
to keep my earthing up back-friendly I space the rows so i can run the 4-tine rotorvator between and then rake up each side.. once heavily 2-3 weeks after the spuds first break earth.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 10:46:55 pm »
I use a hefty great-nephew ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 12:29:25 am »
I use the Mantis between rows, the first year for a while as we've just bought a new one to replace the one which rarely worked.  It does make it easier to earth up with the soil softened and also chops the weeds.

Bucketman, I didn't realise you would have to earth up with the lazy beds......

bucketman

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Sutherland Scotland
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:43 pm »
Some people say do it some say no need. So will play it by ear as I have said this is a test really

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS