Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass Cutting....  (Read 7005 times)

Scrumble The Goose

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Berwyn Moutains
Grass Cutting....
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:44:06 am »
Hi all
I need to buy a new grass cutter, and want to figure out my options...

I have a tractor & topper, a push mower and an old Westwood ride on mower. I use a combination to get the effect I want. The problem is that the Westwood has come to the end of its 35 year life, whilst mechanically the mower is OK, its electrics are shot, it needs new brake pads (the brakes don't work....) its generally tired and so on. If someone had the time, it make a good mower.

Before I jump right in and buy a replacement ride on, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to an alternative ? I have a budget of around £2500, and should get another £400 for the Westwood with all its attachments, so nearly £3K in the pot.

I would prefer to buy new with an extended warranty & service package, or decent quality if second hand & I do the servicing.

I mow about 7 acres, mostly on a gentle hill side, and in an orchard. So reasonable manoeuvrability  is important.

Cheers

STG

moomaa

• Joined Feb 2015
    • VARI Machines
Re: Grass Cutting....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:07:01 am »
I presume the Westwood does not cut all of the 7 acres. How long is the grass you want to cut?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:45:02 am »
I've long debated similar problems. Tractor and topper id fien on the fileds but the agri tyres would relly cut up the 'lawns'.. and there's about 2.5 acres+ of that - really tedious with a  husqvarna ride-on.. the front deck makes it nice for all the trees around but it hasn;t got awe-inspiring speed. A mid-deck couldn't get under all the trees/shrubs and the cost of a finishing mower behind the quadbike is silly for what you get.

the best option if I ever find it would be a cheap towed array behid the quad for the bulk cuting and then finish off with the ride-on. Or when you look at decent wide cut ride-ons it's worth lookign at cheapo tracos with grass tyres and a tractor towed finshing mower (or array)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 02:48:27 pm »
You already have a tractor..so adding a finishing mower could be the way to go, very fast and good finish.  As above if you don't already have grass tyres on the tractor consider fitting some,  though ive found well worn agricultural tyres are kind enough to the ground so long as its not too wet.

Youd probably have enough change to buy a decent little ride on / out front mower for all the awkward bits.

Perhaps sell the topper too and have even more money in the pot as the finishing mower might do your larger areas too on a higher setting ?

Thinking out of the box....fence the larger areas and charge for sheep grazing ...beats paying for diesel/petrol (and all that time) ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:56:40 pm by stufe35 »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:44:22 pm »
I must apologise for my really bad typos above. Excuse (apart from fingers running away with my head) is that the sun was shining on the screen at the time...Oh, and that I'm really bad at typing..

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »
Graze don't mow!  Much cheaper
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Scrumble The Goose

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Berwyn Moutains
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

Sheep aren't an option, we've tried that.

I'm going for a ride on, but am pondering which model.

Cheers

STG

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:02:37 pm »
Scrumble,

Im interested in what went wrong with sheep grazing for you, as I am wrestling with that option too. Ive already done this in the past and had issues ranging from: too many, not took away when I asked, took away too soon, not paid...what were yours ?

cheers

stu

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 08:46:45 pm »
A large rotary out-front would be perfect. Ransome are bombproof

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 10:15:45 am »
A large rotary out-front would be perfect. Ransome are bombproof

not sure about bombproof.. certainly cost a bomb...

winkhound

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:32 pm »
i have a 1982 model with 15000 hours on it and i can hand on heart say in 15 years it has never let me down. Its not pretty anymore, the handbrake doesn't work and i have had to weld the engagement arm twice.It has a 5ft deck, it cuts very rough stuff and will also do a very nice lawn finish. I have had all sorts of mowers and i would never have anything other than an out front what ever the manufacturer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS