Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: has anyone used Rimadyl?  (Read 2260 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
has anyone used Rimadyl?
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:37 pm »
One of my ewes has been lamish on and off for some time now. It doesn't seem to cause her a major problem - she doesn't hold her leg up, she  doesn't lay  down. Some days she's only lame when she trots . Some days she's not really lame. I've checked her regularly and found nothing that causes any pain. So I spoke to  my vet who suggested it could be arthritis and  said I could try Rimadyl which although not licensed for sheep has been used. I just wondered if anyone else has used it? Thank you
4 pet sheep

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: has anyone used Rimadyl?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:54 pm »
Never used it in sheep  but I had a collie that was on it for years and it worked on him,  :dog:
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:42 am »
Never used it in sheep  but I had a collie that was on it for years and it worked on him,  :dog:

Similar here.  Pet collie cross with terribIe hips and arthritis in later life.  I didn't give it to the dog every day, but would use it if I knew he would need it - the day before, the day of and the day after a long hike, for instance.  It definitely helped him.

On the vet's suggestion I also gave him glucosamine every day and did think that this helped too.

One problem I had with the Rimadyl was the cat stole some of the tablets one night when my back was turned - they make them 'appetising' so the dog will eat them, and clearly this also made them appealing to my greedy puss!  That dose was very dangerous for a cat, though, so it was a late night speed across the moors to the vet and a very expensive overnight stay and stomach pump :(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 10:49:57 am »
If you do opt for rimadyl, as a vet I would recommend you ask your vet to get you in one of the cheaper generic versions such as carprieve (similar to buying the Tesco ibuprofen instead of Nurofen) as rimadyl is expensive and I would imagine needs a few for a sheep, so well worth getting.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:44:36 am »
Thank you for your replies. Fsnutter my vet has already given me tablets. It says Rimadyl  on them and the dose is 1 tablet per day. He says try them for 14 days. So I'll give them a go and hope to see an improvement. I was just interested if anyone had used them in sheep. If they seem to be good I'll ask for the cheaper version! Thank you!
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS