Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe poorly after slipping twins  (Read 3189 times)

Lady aga

• Joined Apr 2015
Ewe poorly after slipping twins
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:58:15 pm »
I am at my wits end what to do next.
Our Ewe lambed dead twins 4 weeks ago, they had no wool on them, very sad. she has not bagged up, we gave her engemycin, and she had picked up ok, now for two weeks she has become lethargic, acting drunk, drinking water, but not really eating, so over a course of a few days, she has had twin lamb drench, 5 day anti b course. and calcium under the skin two days. still drinks water, and sort of hangs near it. looks at the course mix and silage, but not tempted to eat it. I just do not know what else to do, she gets up and down ok, but its really sad to see her. has anyone any ideas, vet call out is £60 and my help has come from flock owners with thousands of breeding ewes.
If it were a dog I would think a pyo was on the way.
thank you

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe poorly after slipping twins
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:57:52 pm »
Sorry I missed seeing this post , sounds like your ewe had/has a raging infection  , hope by now some closure

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »
She could easily have a retained afterbirth or even another dead (and now decomposed) lamb inside her - I would reckon metritis most likely. If she was only short of calcium (as in milk fever) she would not be around anymore... as she hasn't picked up after 5 days of AB's my decision would have been made by now - with metritis she is unlikely to be a successful breeder the following year.

Lady aga

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:27 pm »
Yes I think you are right, just stands by the water, did pick at the new grass when out yest and today, but not enough to feed a mouse. She really has not eaten for a good while now either. is there any other anti b I could give her to try and clear it up, she is certainly a tryer, not wanting to be away from her mates, getting up and down with no problems, going to the paddocks, we have lots of lovely grass. I just hate giving up you know.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »
Try ringing your vet and ralk it through with them?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »
I can't remember for definite, but the one I used after assisting with the birth before was Duphraval, but telephone advice from the vets should be free and they should be able to make up a syringe (or however many you need) to treat without the vet seeing the ewe - after you have described the symptoms. However - metritis causes almost always infertility the next time round, especially if quite severe.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:12:25 am »

I've only just seen this, so I hope your girl is improved now.

You can avoid a callout fee by taking the animal to the vet.

As a general comment, I am uncomfortable with any keepers of any animals depriving said animals of necessary veterinary care - or of a swift and painless exit - on financial or other grounds.  I know it's easier for us when we have a sizeable commercial flock to spread the cost over, but I would feel that if I can't afford the vet bills then I can't afford to keep the animals.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:48 am »
Well said Sally, a callout fee is always worth the vets time and expertise.  :thumbsup:

Lady aga

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
I am sorry but I do not agree with you Sally, my vet left us with the correct antibiotics, and I have spoken with him several times, He said to me 'and see how she goes' which we have done, also I was married to a vet for many years, but what gets me is that I asked for the calcium, and when I got home it was out of date 2013. So another lesson learned, and advice to you all, do check dates.
Now we are not mean, and have a small herd of Alpacas too, ask a vet about them, and its a total waste of time.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
Pick her some browse, see if that will tempt her appetite x

Lady aga

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
Well at last a very very slight improvement, she picked at her mix and a tiny bit of silage tonight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS