Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land price,3 acres, east yorkshire?  (Read 12931 times)

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
Land price,3 acres, east yorkshire?
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:20 pm »
Hi

Looking for a bit of advice on some land we would like to buy.

The land joins onto our house/current garden and is a field of just under 3 acres.

It is owned by the factory (dairy) next to us, but has been farmed by a local farmer for 40+ years. He does not pay to farm the land and now in his 60's is very much winding down. e.g last year he just left his straw bailed in the field to rot. He lives over 20 miles away and I suspect he will not plant anything this year.

We are on good terms with the dairy manager / farmer, and as such we already have an informal agreement for a strip of the land along out fence of approx 50 x 10m which we have grown veg in for the past two seasons.

The next adjacent farmer (“proper” farmer, whos land I shoot on) says in it current state it is worth max £3k !!! But I assume that is as pure agricultural land and not connected with our house?

The field would need major drainage works and soil preparation for any serious growing, hence "proper” farmers price

The field has no road access as it is surrounded by our house, the dairy and the other farmers field (over a ditch)

My plan is to make a very large pond, making use of the natural low of the field, a small wooded area and addition of pigs.

Any thoughts?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Land price,3 acres, east yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »
Sounds like a very good price to me!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »
I know land in your area is definitely cheaper than where we are.

Its said that land is  worth between £3,000-£5,000 per acre, but in reality we are finding it goes for a lot more.  So, your land sounds a good price to me.

Just as an example, the 4 acre field along from us, not good grass, full of gorse bushes and brambles went for auction.  I went to watch, and it made £36,000.  A one acre paddock went for £15,000, so both plots exceeded expectations.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 09:56:06 pm »
A local friend of mine sold half her field about 3 years ago.  The area was about an acre and she got £7000 for it.

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 09:53:57 pm »
If it joins your house, you are very lucky to get the chance and I would bite the farmers hand off at that price. If you think about it if someone else buys it, you will have little control of whats goes on around your house! And would almost certainly never get the chance to buy it again.
Good luck

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »
Go for it! It's a good price, and it sounds ideal for what you want  :pig: :pig:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18:08 pm »

The minute that you go to buy agricultural land to add to your house some smart alec will decide that it is amenity land and up the price
that is what happened to us, the farmer reconed that it was worth £1,000-£1,800 an acre but when we came to buy it he had it valued and as I said the Valuers decided that it was now amenity land and worth  £6,000 an acre. We did still buy it and reccon that it has increased the value of our house by a lot more than we paid.
Anne

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:31:08 pm »
Is there anyway round this? Like getting a friend or relative to buy it that is not even in the same county?

Dangermouse

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:58:50 am »
Im not sure what the land prices are like in yorkshire but I have just bought 2.5 acres in Norfolk and it cost me £32000

Which believe it or not was not too bad a price

So yours sounds VERY good to me

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:16 am »
The next adjacent farmer (“proper” farmer, whos land I shoot on) says in it current state it is worth max £3k !!! But I assume that is as pure agricultural land and not connected with our house?

Dangermouse

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the price, but I think you are all mixing up the owners and the prices quoted!

The land is owned by a factory next to us, they rent it FREE to a farmer that has "farmed" it as a hobby for nearly 50 years simply due to an old agreement.

The price quoted of £3k was from the other farmer that farms the next field/ farm, how said in it current state i.e very poor drainage, poor soil etc etc £3k.

I have not had a quote from the true owners (The factory)

My view given the condition of the land, no road frontage access, no running water, elec  etc would be £8 - 10K for the 3 acres.

Anyway, a few years of buying it at the moment, just need to save up a bit more. We have 50 x 10 m from the factory free to rent as long as they do not need the land.

Some honey dropped round today, and some veg in the summer to the factory manager to keep him sweet!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:21 pm »
Land prices have got really ridiculous.  I heard the other day that Icelandic, Chinese and Dutch investors are buying agricultural land up in the UK - unbelievable!

I bought a bit of land (about 2 acres) next to my house for £20000 last year, and it seems that seems to be pretty much the going rate down here despite it being on solid clay and badly needing decent drainage.  A previous owner went bankrupt and the mortgage holders sold half the land to pay off debts, leaving the rest of the land unsold until the right price can be agreed.  We were told by local farmers that it was "worth" about 3k an acre.  Having said that, whilst it was expensive the fact that it is right next to my house, increases the value of my property by considerably more than we paid, so was extremely worthwhile.  But hey - my pigs seem to like it which is the most important thing!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:09 am »
there was some land going up here last year very wet poor condition with some ones septic tank soak away. that went for more tham 3k an acre. so if your lucky enough that the factory would sell it for that the snap it up.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »
But will the factory actually sell it?  Maybe they are thinking of expanding their factory at some time?

Any bits of land round here, get snapped up at auction by horse people.  Not much goes up for sale, and then when it does, the world and his brother want it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 12:02:50 am »
Same happens here!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 12:41:35 pm »
But will the factory actually sell it?  Maybe they are thinking of expanding their factory at some time?

The dairy announced nearly 40 reduncancys last month, reducing the work force down to about 60, so expanding is not on their minds!

But maybe a few pounds in their pocket from the sale of the land might help them out?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS