Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a field shelter  (Read 8169 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Moving a field shelter
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:55:43 am »

We have a 16x10 mobile field shelter that will need moving as soon as the ground firms up (turns out the spot we chose is prone to flooding in the very worst of weather, doh...)

Will the Landrover be enough, or do we need to get the neighbour in with the tractor?
Any other top tips for moving a shelter? (we have never towed anything across a field before...)

Thank you in advance!

"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Moving a field shelter
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:06:19 pm »
Watching this with interest.
OH has 'built' a field shelter but the sides and roof aren't together yet. Each side is very heavy so god knows how he is going to attach them, plus the roof, and then move it. I guess putting it together in situ would be best but at some stage we would need to move it too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:27:18 pm »
IF its on skids and the ground it dry enough a landrover might manage the only thing is to un stick the edges from the ground if required -  you can dig a small pit put a flat stone on the bottom then use a bottle jack or similar to unstick the skids - obviously potentially need to repeat the jacking at other points

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:52:24 pm »
Yes, it's on heavy metal skids, so it is definitely made to be moveable.
Thanks for the 'unsticking' tip!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »
Ah ha, me thinks I need to tell OH to put skids on ours  :)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:12:57 pm »
Yeh something like the thickness of housing joists and if you can put a metal strip along the bottom edge ( like a sledge) it pulls better and protects the wood a little

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:18:09 pm »
thanks BL

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:13:01 pm »
 :roflanim: Landrover should tow it no bother as long as field is dry enough.  Make sure adequate ropes or chains or strops are used.  Does the shelter have strong points to tow from ?

Select 1st low and put the diff lock in if it's a model that has it.

As mentioned above getting it moving from its start position will be the hardest bit, if the landy won't set off then lift the shelter a bit as said to unstick it. This could be as simple as sticking a crow bar under each corner and levering it up to release it, perhaps throw a lump of wood or whatever under to keep it up slightly then move to the next corner.

If needed when moving to new location do long gentle curves rather than sharp turns.

Good luck and Let's us know how it goes !

Search youtube landrover towing truck if you are worried about what landrovers can tow...I tried to put a ling but it wouldn't work.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 06:38:48 pm by stufe35 »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:03:55 pm »
Well, since I just used my Defender to un-stick a fully laden Hiab which was in half way to it's axles, I'm sure your Landy will do the job admirably  ;D

Definitely un-stick the shelter first using a jack. But whilst you've got it up in the air, why not stick it on some rollers?  We used sections cut from old round fenceposts to move the Rayburn and it required hardly any effort. So, if you have some available, it might be an idea to stick a few rollers underneath at least to get it started?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 07:56:33 pm »
As others have said your landy will be fine! Good tips about unsticking too. Good luck!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »
Thanks or the tips and encouragement... seems quite a task for the inexperienced like us...
Will let you know how it goes once the ground dries up (that might take a while  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS