Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Babies are here! But grubby incubator?  (Read 2324 times)

KahlanA

• Joined Mar 2015
Babies are here! But grubby incubator?
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:46:49 pm »
So far 4/6 :) our four pekins have hatched beautifully and the two orps have pipped but arent doing anything else yet.

Just looking for a little reassurance at leaving the pekins in there - they hatched between 11 and 4pm, the two earlier ones are lovely and fluffy, the later two a bit soggy still. The incubator is a state!! The paper towel is covered in yolk poo and God knows what else, it's sodden. The incubator itself still has condensation on the walls - I'm just a little worried that this might make them poorly as it all looks a bit grim. I've resisted doing anything so far though as I don't want to dry out the orps by opening it.

Is this ok?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Babies are here! But grubby incubator?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:54 am »
So cute! They'll be fine. Leave well alone until tomorrow evening at least. Having the ones out cheeping about will keep the Orps going too. It looks clean to me!

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:59:54 am »
Smells GROSE! to  ;)

KahlanA

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:21:39 pm »
Omg! So I faffed and have paid the price for it :(

Orps didn't look like they were drying so I moved the pekins to the brooder, quickly wiped out the incubator and left orps in it.

Then realised that the ecoglow wasn't low enough on the lowest setting - I was using paper towel as a base in this first little brooder but they were miles away from Ecoglow.

So I stuck them back in the incy and went to buy wood shavings... Just come back and the incubator had stopped working!!!! They were all cheeping and looking miserable.

So I've flung wood shavings and chicks under the ecoglow... They've stopped cheeping (good sign?? Bad sign??) but I'm scared its too late - what else can I do? They're still not quite touching it as from what I can see they're all lying down but I don't want to bury them.

Argh poor chickys :(

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 01:34:39 pm »
not cheeping may just mean they are sleeping. young chicks don't do much for the first 36 hours or so, hatching can be very knackering. Put food and water near the ecoglow and make sure the whole room doesnt fluctuate in temperature too much for a week. they will get as close to it as they need so try not to worry. they should be up and cheeping again soon. they might get sticky bums from the drops in temp they've had so just keep an eye out for that.
woodshavings not ideal for very young chicks as they may try and eat them. I use upside-down kitchen roll which is grippy for them to walk on and easily removed to clean out. I dont start using bedding until they are a week old and I am rethinking that, they make such a mess!

incubators stink during hatching :)

I tend to get the brooder ready, eco hen on when the first has hatched and pop them under after 24-36 hours in the incy.

KahlanA

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »
Thank you... Only stuck the wood shavings in as they're tiny and couldn't reach the Ecoglow so I was worried they'd be cold, already regretting the mess and that's just from me faffing!

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:53:31 pm »
what breed are they? tbh I don't think the ecoglows are always warm enough for the first few days on their own, especially if chicks are tiny (mine are all large fowl).  If its the smaller one in particular its not heating up a great deal of space. I used to put a ceramic bulb in as well so that increased the ambient heat a bit in the brooder. Once they are about a week old, chicks are quite hot, sweaty little things that tend to spend more time on top of the glow than under it anyway but it still pays to not subject them to large fluctuations in temp-a broody hen wont let them out from her very long at all for the first week or two, unless its very warm.

I've got a more adjustable one now-built for 25 chicks I think, with 14 under it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS