Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: greedy horse  (Read 4904 times)

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
greedy horse
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:07:51 pm »
our old cob broke into the feed store this morning and has eaten three quarter sack of pony nuts. i hope hes going to be ok. he seems ok  in himself. needless to say he hasnt had any dinner from me  today.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: greedy horse
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 03:33:48 pm »
eek .....he should be full for a week now, but I bet he isn't, the greedy boy!!

Seriously, I am  sure you will keep an eye on him, to make sure he does not have an attack of colic....I am sure he will be fine, but sensible to keep an eye out. 

My friends big cob, leaned over the fence to the pheasant hoppers full of food, and scoffed a great deal.  She was proper poorley, and the vet had to come out.  I bet she would  do it again, given the chance.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 04:18:45 pm »
Keep a close eye on him, dont give him anything to eat, not even hay and only let him drink small amounts of water! happened to a pony of ours once who got colic, luckily we loaded him into the trailer to make him poo! walked him around for half an hour and he got better, good luck!

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »
we have not given him much to eat since he ate the pony nuts. i really hope he wont get poorly because he is a lovely boy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:23:55 pm »
Goodness, you are having problems, what with him and your poor sheep.  Hope they both recover well
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:11:44 pm »
do hope your cob will be ok  :)

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:14:17 am »
when we woke up and went down the field our old cob dobbin was fine, we think it was also our younger cob who helped him out! :horse:

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
and only let him drink small amounts of water!

With beet pulp pellets, I'd be very careful with the water intake, but in the case of pony nuts, I think I'd be more inclined to allow the horse to drink as much as he wanted.

Beet pellets swell on contact with water, and increase their size dramatically, whereas pony nuts would swell much less, but would break down on contact with water. If the water intake is restricted, particularly with a dry product in the gut, the potential for impaction colic would be considerable. Once material becomes impacted it is very difficult to get it moving, and nothing can pass it by. Severe impaction can cause necrosis of the intestinal wall very quickly, resulting in the release of toxins into the blood which is very dangerous.

Some vets recommend oral drenching with liquid parafin as standard procedure with over-indulgence cases.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:38:34 am »
I'd be inclined to agree with Aengus0g.

Thankfully it wasn't sugar beet or you may have had a much bigger problem. Hope they recover well.
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

sonyasmallholder

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:26:08 pm »
thank you for all your advice, our two cobs seem fine today, they both look happy so i think their tummies are perfect now. :horse: :horse: :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS