Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Male Dairy Calves  (Read 3504 times)

LornaC

• Joined Mar 2015
Male Dairy Calves
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:50:48 pm »
Hi,

We have some pigs and a handful or orphan lambs that we are raising for the freezer. We also have a laying flock of hens and we are raising birds for the table as well.

We are knew to all of this (starting last August!) and are doing ok so far but we're not from farming backgrounds so it really is new to us and we don't have experience to fall back on.

We have about 2 acres of land for everything but we are supplementary feeding where needed with no permanent buildings and the land is a couple of miles from where we live

Taking all the above into consideration what are people's thoughts on male dairy calves? Maybe one / two (because having just one seems mean). How could I house these? How much of a pain is the paperwork? I'd like to keep them for about 6 months. Is this in any way, shape or form a good idea??!! lol   :D

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Male Dairy Calves
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:42:39 pm »
 Check out CALF HUTCHES as a source of housing  , have  a look at ROSE VEAL , dairy male calve reared to  about 8 mth's  old

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:02:52 am »
Well, you shouldn't have one on its own for sure. My advice, for what it's worth, is give yourself a full 12 months with the hens, pigs and lambs before embarking on a further venture. That will give you some idea on how your couple of acres will stand up to the stocking.  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:12:51 am »
I have a similar amount of land. We have 6 sheep, 5 chickens and 5 ducks. In the summer months we also have 2 weaners. I would quite like a cow or two but my land definitely couldn't cope with them.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »
2 yrs ago we reared 2 jersey bull calves just past the rose veal stage, we let them go at the beginning of December . The meat was fantastic. We then got 4 jersey x Angus  bull calves we intended to do the same with them but with one thing and another they did not go. I can't say it was easy during the winter but we have managed. They will now be going at the end of the summer just before they are 2 yrs old.
I wouldn't like to try to keep them on 2 acres though as ours had run of 20 acres until the winter came then they where in 4 acres with access to stables for the bad winter. Half of the 4 acres is now mud.
I don't think we would ever keep them over winter again
If we got a wet summer I doubt you would have much field left for the other animals.
Graham

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 08:47:42 pm »
I buy and sell rearing calves, sell them at around 12 weeks old at market and I love having them but move them on before you were planning.  ideally you would need a building for them as they couldnt stay in a hutch for that length of time . If you do decide to get some make sure they have had enough good quality colostrum.  Agree though might be best to see how you go with what you have just now before getting some, maybe once your pigs and lambs are away you could try over summer with calves?
Paperwork no more trouble than sheep and pigs
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:50:59 pm by RaisinHall Tamworths »

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:18:44 am »
Had 2 jersey males year an they were a delight to have around I bought them at 12 months old an send them end of summer saying that they had 2 acres to themselves....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS