Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hand drilled bore hole / water well  (Read 2359 times)

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
hand drilled bore hole / water well
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:40:05 pm »
This seemd to be the area to ask for some opinions I am looking at digging / drilling a well/borehole our land is about 6 miles from the coast and it is relativly flat all the way from the sea to us.
I have seen loads of different ways of doing them by hand just wondered if anyone had tried because people lived on water from wells for thousands of years long before big drilling rigs

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: hand drilled bore hole / water well
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »
Firstly have you any idea how far from the top the ground the average water table level is ?  You should be able to find it on line by putting something like , " How do I find my water table level" , into your search engine .

If it is only a few metres  down hiring a hand held engine driven borer  with several extensions from the big tool hire boys should see you get deep enough into it so you can have a deep sump for the pump .
Be prepared to look at different  borehole linings as well .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: hand drilled bore hole / water well
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:45:51 pm »
I was going to try it just for water for our veg patch first and just use drainage pipe as a liner and if that goes ok would use water pipe as a liner.
il have a look see if i can find out how deep water table is cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS