Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with bad back leg.  (Read 9274 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Lamb with bad back leg.
« on: April 04, 2015, 02:38:34 pm »
One of my zwartble ewes just had unasisted twins in the night and when I went down this morning I found that one had a bad back leg. The lamb is walking on it as if some one was crawling on there wrist. The toe bit is bent backwards when she walks and am wondering what I should do? I have but it in a splint but now it seems just to be dragging it along. All help apreciated.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Lamb with bad back leg.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 02:42:03 pm »
Could be contracted tendon? In which case a splint would straighten it out but will take a few days for it to strengthen enough for weight bearing. Check for heat if so it could be joint ill but would expect them to hop along if this was the case.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:12:57 pm »
Right thanks will check, woukd it be ok to give it 1ml of alamycin?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:30:29 pm »
I'd consider speaking to my vet.  Young lambs can heal remarkably quickly but you have to give them the right treatment to begin with.  Alamycin would be OK for an infection but ....

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »
I talked to the vet and she wasn't too sure she said to splint it give it alamycin and combivit so I have done that and am wondering if I should take it of the ewe as she wont let either of them suckel.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »
 Are you certain that its hip is not broken or dislocated , you say the ewe won't let them suckle could she have knocked it about ??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:30:15 pm »
12 hours isn't long enough for joint ill, is it?

My first thought was that the ewe had stepped on it - and given what you then said about her not letting them suckle, I suspect the same as shep53; the ewe has knocked it over or smashed it against a wall or something.  Take it to the vet for treatment or euthanasia.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:27:03 am »
I took it to the vet and she wasn't sure because she is pregnant and can't touch the lambs. She gave me a splint and the vet wrap but the hip is not the problem, imagine crawling and on one of the legs your crawling on your wrist not your hand. The foot sort of gives way when she walks so I have splinted it and given her some alamycin and combivit which is waht my vet advised and she is trying to walk on it but i'm going to give her a week with the splint on and she what happens.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 09:51:56 am »
Knuckled over then?  We ve only ever had them on front legs.  The lamb we got that that was very floopy on one leg has tightened up, her tendons seemed long as opposed to contracted.  You doing the right thing, and as long as the vet is happy, even if guarded due to her pregnancy. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 11:11:29 am »
I took it to the vet and she wasn't sure because she is pregnant and can't touch the lambs.

You need to be registered with a practise which can provide a vet that can handle the livestock you have.  Period.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:50 pm »
The practice has other vets aswell but they were of as only one is on on the saturday as it's only a half day and if it was desperated they would call a diferent one out.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:31:36 pm »
Young lambs heal very quickly   :thumbsup: I to would have wanted the vet to feel the leg and joints, damage to the knee or ankle joint aren't always easy to tell without hands on

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:05 pm »
I took it to the vet and she wasn't sure because she is pregnant and can't touch the lambs.

You need to be registered with a practise which can provide a vet that can handle the livestock you have.  Period.

Given that it is still smack in the middle of lambing time, having a vet on call who cannot deal with sheep/lambs is ridiculous - if it was my practice I would be sending in a strong letter of complaint - I would NOT wanting to be have to faff with getting a hold of another vet if I had an animal in need of urgent treatment.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 02:37:01 pm »
Yeh i know a bit iritating but it's understandable that she couldn't do anything about it and it wasn't her fault and the lamb is no improving and running about with her brother it just takes her a while to get up with the cast being on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS