Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new lamb feet turned under at fetlock  (Read 13460 times)

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
new lamb feet turned under at fetlock
« on: March 28, 2015, 04:42:17 pm »
Lamb just been born to ewe lamb, both front feet bent over at fetlock and feeling too tight for me to straighten and splint. Are these likely to be fused or just tight tendons that should loosen up and allow me to splint. Had another the other day but not tight so could straighten and splint, is this genetic from ram or just lack of space inside ewe? Quick responses with ideas for me to try would be appreciated. 

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: new lamb feet turned under at fetlock
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:06:22 pm »
Don't worry they will come, it happens occasionally, do a bit of physio on them, keep baby n mum in I would so that lamb can be on soft cleaner surface, Do it say,  when you doing checks on them. Some do need splints but that may not be required.  Give her/him time to un fold x

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »
We splinted our lamb for 24 hours.  The vet offered us an injection to release the tendons but we decided to see if the splints would work first.  We just used some plastic piping and padded it out with cotton wool - he is now right as rain and bouncing round the field with the others.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 05:25:36 pm »
Sorry but we had the opposite, with a lamb years ago.  By 3 months when she was blistering her knees by still trying to crawl, we had to have her euthanased.  Otherwise a beautiful wee ewe lamb.  We had tried everything we could to stretch and splint the joints, but no success.
It's the only one we've ever had, so I don't think it can be genetic.
I hope yours turns out better than that.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »
My worry is that they are so tight I can't straighten them to splint them. Have been giving them bit of massage and she is up and trying to suck, although mum doesn't seem to have much milk and such a tiny bag! Wasn't expecting this one to lamb till Tuesday to be honest, so will offer more colostrum later and tube if she doesn't take enough. Hope that tomorrow sees more milk and slightly better legs! Flippin sheep!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:08:32 am »
Our vet offered us an injection to release the tendons.  We were lucky and didn't need it but I guess better done as soon as possible if you need to.  good luck

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »
Vet hasn't seen any as bad as this lamb, took her down thinking I would have her pts but have tried the engemycin la intra venous and into the muscle to see if we can release them a bit. Not holding out much hope to be honest. Massaged and rubbed and bandaged with splints overnight just to see if any straighter in the morning.  bless her, so cute, but I think it's not going to happen. Thanks for replies, nice to know someone's got yr back.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 09:10:46 pm »
I was just about to post for something similar. I have a now 3 week old lamb who has floppy fetlock joints. They do straighten and I have massaged but don't seem to go straight to take weight. I have tried splinting but either I'm not doing it right or it isn't helping and his little leg is getting sore.

I was going to ask if anyone has a picture of how to splint it correctly. I watched a YouTube video but not same condition so I have wrapped vet wrap a couple of times round leg then put large lollipop stick either side and a few more wraps .  One leg looks slightly better but still slightly curling but he is holding other leg and still keeping his weight on back legs. There are no open wounds but a couple of hairless spots.

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:15:18 pm »
Vet told me if I could get it straight enough to just splint down front of leg. Soft bandage first, then splint and a used micropore tape to get splint in place and soft bandage over top. I found that I couldn't get vet wrap on right,  seemed too tight, so re did with soft crape bandage. Have opposite problem though as my lamb is not floppy but rigid and tight. Still don't hold out much hope for mine, good luck with yours!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:52:24 am »
Changed my method. Got a narrower soft bandage and wrapped round a bit then used crepe one over top in figure of eight fashion then held in place with gaffe tape . Seems to be working when I left. Time will tell.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:32 am »
Let us know how it goes. :fc:

pooks

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:11 pm »
No go, had her put down yesterday, no way they were coming right and she was going downhill a bit quick. Consoled by the fact that we tried, but was right thing to do. Thanks again for replies.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »
Ah sorry Pooks.  Sometimes it's just not meant to be despite all your efforts.    :hug:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:52 pm »
I had one last year who's knees were bent, no way could they be straightened so had her pts at a few days old.
Anne

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 04:37:36 am »
So sorry  :bouquet:  We got one now, I've  got her in and put a little bootie on. 

Eta.  Ours has now straightened, I think she had loose tendon, now putting foot on floor and jollying like the rest of them x
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:24:42 am by Hellybee »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS