Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to use as a wind break  (Read 2582 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
what to use as a wind break
« on: March 27, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »
I am looking for something I can plant along the side of my new veg patch as a type of hedge. Ideally something I can harvest but needs to act as a wind break as it is open fields and to also block the sight of my veg from the livestock on the other side of the fence.

Wondering about gooseberrys but as I have never grown before not sure if they fit the bill. Any suggestions?
________
Caroline

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: what to use as a wind break
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 10:05:36 pm »
I've got some high bushy gooseberries on this farm and they'd certainly do the job but I suspect they'd take too long to grow to be practical (no idea when they were planted) The 'ordinary' gooseberries I put in have done very little in 3 years.
For  practical and useful plant..perhaps bamboo (not sure how it'd do establishing in wind) - plenty free bean canes etc; thornless blackberries trained on wire, perhaps some raspberries to accompany them..hazel to feed the squirrels (I never get any). Personally I'd avoid blackthorn like the plague..evil stuff when it needs cutting back. You could mix things up with some dog rose for the hips, currant bushes, honey berries - a lot to do with how long and how high a windbreak you need, aspect and soil type.

For a bit of latera thinking you could use a hazel base with some of the other suggestions mixed in and let it thicken up in the summer with edible passion fruit and even kiwi and grapes - it won't be the best harvest done like that but variety and interest.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: what to use as a wind break
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:19 pm »
Whatever you decide on, you need something without a huge root run, or the roots will invade your veggie patch and take all the moisture and nutrition.

Brambles (blackberry) are a good choice, provided you can keep them in check and tied into horizontal wires. Stop the tips from touching the ground or they will root and make new plants, gradually turning into a thicket. I agree with pgkevet that the thornless types would be best.  I have a pet theory that brambles are actually carnivorous, grabbing you as you walk near, then wrapping around your legs so you can't escape.  Once you've eaten all the fruit you die, the bramble feasts on your remains and produces an even bigger crop for next year.  It's usually sheep that get caught, but I'm sure they're not averse to the odd human  :-J
Joking apart, thorny brambles can be a nuisance if you're working nearby, or if you have livestock on the other side of the fence, but the thornless ones, if you can find a tasty variety, would be ideal.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS