Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goats  (Read 3127 times)

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
Poorly goats
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:51 am »
Had to get the vet out on friday as my two goats managed for the first time in four months, to get over my paddock fence and eat something which didn't agree with them. I was really worried about them both but one in particular was really ill, over the past few days of being really pampered they are both looking much better. Eventually they have both been eating and drinking well, they have had water with mollases and soaked shreded sugarbeet. Can anyone advise me what feed i should now be feeding them to keep them getting better and put some weight back on? i was thinking to start to add a bit of course mix to this will this help.

Thanks Rob.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Poorly goats
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:07:05 am »
Sorry to hear your goats have been ill.  Have you no idea what they ate that made them so ill?  If any of my goats are sick, I always make sure they have plenty of hay and water of course, as being ill makes them dehydrated, so drinking is important.  I gradually introduce their normal coarse mix back, but not too much to begin with.  Goats are terrible when they are ill, and often seem to give up.....its a question of tempting them to eat, and I have found that some greens, carrots, apples, slices of bread, are usually accepted.  In summer, I have found that willow branches often tempt a sick goat to eat again, and they will even strip the bark and eat that.  Bicarbonate of soda disolved in some warm water is gratefully accepted by a sick goat too.

I am always pleased when I see them chewing their cud again, as it shows they are feeling better.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »
im sorry too, to hear about your goats, hope they will have a speedy
recovery.
we too are only new to goat keeping, so to read your post and replys
i hope will be helpfull if we ever find our selves in that situation.
as said hope your goats get well, they are wonderfull things. ;)
Langdon ;)

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »
I have no idea what they ate, but i do know they were out for about five minutes and my neighbour thinks it was out of a plant pot but as they are all brown can't tell what. Just been out to the hay stable were they are now staying and they have both climbed on top, i know they are feeeling better as they both tried to dash out when my back was turned. They seem to be loving the juice from the shreded sugar beet and are very eager to get there noses in as soon as they see it coming.  :goat: Loking good.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »
try adding molases to warm water, to give them energy?
all the best...
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:17 pm »
Yep, molasses or even just treacle into warm water and dissolved- it does exactly the same, a good sugar treat. And they love it  ;)

Beth

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:54 am »
Thanks the  molasses also worked just forgot to put in that my more wise neighbour had suggested it, they are bot looking great now so really happy ;D

Rob.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS