Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To poly or not to poly. That is the question!  (Read 2296 times)

rusticranger

• Joined Feb 2013
  • West Sussex
To poly or not to poly. That is the question!
« on: April 06, 2015, 06:30:21 pm »
Hello! I wanted to ask for some advise please guys, I'm considering getting a small polytunnel for my garden but I don't have anywhere for it to sit in full sun all day as we are surrounded by tall trees. Would it be worth getting one for it to have sun for a few hours a day? Or is it not worth it? Thanks in advance!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: To poly or not to poly. That is the question!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »
It depends how much of a job it will do in terms of providing shelter and maybe extending your growing season a bit. I would think it would be worthwhile.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:22:24 pm »
Endless sun makes a tunnel too hot.  Try checking up several possible spots to put it, record when the sun is on each one, and how deep the shade is for the rest of the time.  The advice usually is to orientate a tunnel E-W, but if you have only a few hours when the sun shines on it, then face the long side that way, to get max benefit.  Also compare how much full sun it will get in summer with how much in winter, when the sun might not get above the tree tops.  Often a tunnel helps extend the crops into winter, and to start early in spring, but if the sun is even more of a problem in winter, then it might not be worth it.
What do you intend to grow?
I love my tunnel which I've had now for about 18 years and would hate to have to get rid of it, but I never manage much by way of winter crops.  I live in a very cold area so use mine for tomatoes, cucumber, squash, climbing beans, courgettes, garlic and overwintering onions (they do much better being able to dry properly compared with outside which is always wet), sweet corn, chillies and peppers, strawberries, spring salads.  I would have no chance growing most of these outdoors.  All I do grow outside is potatoes, broad beans, some peas, leeks, beetroot and winter brassicas.
Oh and I use it to set up an emergency mothering up pen at lambing time  :sheep:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:29:05 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:18:12 pm »
It's a matter of degree.. how tall the trees are and what type.
I'm happy with some trees near my greenhouse becasue it saves having to put shade netting up in the summer. The trees aren't too big and all deciduous so this time of year the glasshouse is getting full sun still.
If the trees ever get so big that they're a problem for me then they'll get pruned or removed and new ones planted

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS