Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PIG TRAILER REGULATIONS AND SIZE  (Read 7057 times)

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Alves, near Elgin, Moray, Scotland
PIG TRAILER REGULATIONS AND SIZE
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:54:02 am »
Hi all

It's still a way off, but I'm thinking about getting my 3 pigs to the abattoir when the day comes. I will need to travel to Grantown-on-Spey abattoir, which is just under 30 miles from home. My main question is this, are there any regulations regarding the trailer you use, its size, construction etc - will it be inspected and does it need to be of a certain standard? The trailer is in good strong condition and can carry up to a ton, it's of wooden construction (steel chassis and framework), the internal dimensions are 8 foot x 3foot 4 inches. I plan to line the floor area and ramp with rubber matting to make it easier and less slippy for the pigs - also easier to pressure wash afterwards. Also, does the ramp need to have side barriers on it?

I think that's it - any other thoughts would be really useful! Thanks all. :pig:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:56:36 am by HenryVigne »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: PIG TRAILER REGULATIONS AND SIZE
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:30 pm »
These are the guidelines specific to pigs  http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/resources/000/263/151/PB12544d.pdf

The ramp angle is important as too steep or slippy the pigs won't like it but your rubber matting will be good. The ramp doesn't need gates although they are useful but parking by the wall and using a hurdles will help channel the pigs in. Feed them in there a few times before to get them used to it. Nobody inspects as such but obviously you wouldn't set off in something not safe.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:36 pm »
A piece of old carpet on the ramp works well.  Feed them in the trailer for a couple of days beforehand and be prepared to spend as much time as necessary loading on the day.  Pigs do not take kindly to being loaded in a hurry and some find heavy rain or high winds, as well as a dark trailer, to be most disagreeable.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 02:05:30 pm »
When doing anything with animals give them the impression you have all day. Give them the impression you have five minutes and it will take all day!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:31:15 pm »
The trailer DOES have to have gates - it comes under PART 2E – ROAD VEHICLE and TRAILER and CONTAINER SPECIFICATION and GUIDANCE for CONSTRUCTION  of EU regulation 1/2005 which says that you need Barriers to prevent falling when loading/unloading.

if you google
'PART 2E – ROAD VEHICLE and TRAILER and CONTAINER SPECIFICATION and GUIDANCE for CONSTRUCTION' you'll find a link which has all the stuff in it that you can check your trailer against.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »
Thanks for all of your advice - looks like the trailer is going to need some modifications!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
We have always taken our pigs in an old pony trailer with no side gates. Never had a problem.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:02:08 am »
You will need gates if going to Millers as you cannot get right up to the door.

jward

• Joined Dec 2013
  • Stockton-on-Tees
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:27:17 am »
We've taken pigs in our old horse trailer too, they just come out with boards to guide them down the ramp.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 07:48:11 am »
I take mine in a 6x4  trailer, no side gates. The abattoir wall and a metal gate to the other side is all we need. It helps if your pigs are tame and friendly and will follow you with a bucket or a couple of apples.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:55:22 am »
My small and old trailer has no gates and I see all sorts of trailers turning up with stock at the abattoir and auctions. The heighest point of the ramp is no greater than the step in the yard outside the shed BUT the question was what regulations does a trailer need to meet so I guess it is up to Henry to decide how far he wants to go with his trailer modifications.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 09:03:20 am »
Yes you can take your pigs to the abattoir without sidegates, you can also drive there at greater than 30mph through the towns, with no insurance, taking on your mobile, and with your seatbelt off. You can do all these things, but they are not legal :-)

The question was what were the regulations, which was what I answered, not what can you get away with.

If you do not have sidegates, the State Veterinary Service can (can not will!) condemn your animal as not being transported legally.  It is then offloaded, killed, blue die stained, and the carcass sent to the incinerator.  The abattoir will bill you not only for the kill, but also the cost of disposal, and of course you end up with no meat  We know of two cases where this has happened with cattle.  It generally doesn't but you take a risk. 

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HenryVigne

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 10:57:01 am »
Thanks all - good to know exactly what the regs are Oaklandpigs, i think that i can reasonably easily fit some side gates to the trailer, and they will no doubt help in the unloading of the pigs, and keep any over zealous officials happy   :D

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 06:54:50 pm »
Having taken a few pigs to Granton trust me they arnt that strict .ive seen pigs arrive I the back of a Mitsubishi L200 unloaded onto their high ramp ! Not an eye was battered or a word said !!!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »
It's all very well saying the abattoir isn't that strict, or whatever, but if you happen to take your pigs on a day tradig standards happen to be inspecting, I think you might find things are different - is it really worth the risk?  Although there are loads of rules and regs which seem silly and pointless, the vast majority of those relating to animal transport really do make things better and safer for animals and handlers.  It's not that hard to make some side gates, and it will be time well spent in time saved in future.  Good luck with your pigs, HenryVigne.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS