Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sickly Chicken Help!  (Read 1636 times)

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
Sickly Chicken Help!
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:14 pm »
We have 2 Aylesbury ducks, was offered a chicken last week the fox had eaten 25-30 chickens this female 1 was the only one left alive, she has an eye missing and looks really red and bald!  We took her on and she seemed fine.

Just been out there now and I thought she was dead! laying down not moving and generally not herself.  Her bottom looks a bit messy, we have had a few eggs doyou think she has 1 stuck??

What should I do

Please help don't want to loose her

Laura

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Sickly Chicken Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:46:07 pm »
It may be chronic worms or some problem induced by the stress of it all and a run down immune system? Could be sour crop? If she was simply egg bound she would have kept visiting the nest box and you may have noticed that? There is a possibility an egg has broken on exit so you will need to examine her vent for damage. She may need antibiotics? Best bet here if you want to save her Pink is a trip to a chicken experienced vet because you need to act quickly with those symptoms.

pinkvisla1

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:19 pm »
Been outside with her for a couple of hours, gave her a warm water bath.  She was drinking but wouldn't eat??  Ive been reading about sour crop, sounds horrible i'm going out again to see if I can see the crop?? I guess I could feel it?? I've never had chickens before all new to this, I thought it would be easy!

Ive read about putting oil in her and massaging the crop.  Why would she have got it??  Been feeding her pellets and corn???  Pellets are duck pellets?? are they ok?? mixed with corn and plenty of fresh water??

Laura :-\

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
Ducks and chickens eat the same food so shouldn't be a problem. One of mine recently had a swollen crop which I massaged (no oil) and it went down and she went back to normal, but she is old (nearly 6) so I put it down to things slowing down in her. Sounds like a chicken expert is needed to take a look at yours and most probably some antibiotics needed. She is obviously a strong one to survive from what you have said but I have had them get better and then just drop as the stress/illness is too much. You haven't picked the easiest intro to keeping chickens. Good luck
________
Caroline

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:18:44 am »
How is your poorly hen doing Laura?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS