Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Willow for fuel  (Read 8989 times)

mad dogs and us two

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Nr St Hilaire
    • La Croix Bourge
Willow for fuel
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
Hi there

Does anyone know where I can buy some willow to plant for fuel?
I live in Manche (50) but I don't mind a day out to go and get some.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Ain't life grand!

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
Re: Willow for fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:37:04 am »
Willow should grow easily from cuttings stuck straight in the ground where they are going to grow but best done in late autumn.You could build up a stock from any tree by rooting cuttings over the summer either in pots or water.I have heard of a very fast growing variety but cant remember the name.Another good coppice tree is sweet chestnut,we used to have woods full of it in essex grown for fencing stakes but would do firewood too if it burns well.

Dave

hebber

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:47:43 pm »
There's quite a few places you can get willow sticks to put in the ground, by mail order, and it's not too expensive and not too much hard work.  I just googled it.

dave

• Joined May 2008
  • cheshire
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:33:48 pm »
I may be stating the obvious but have yoiu looked at the windrush willow site,lots of useful info there.I see you can get a good grant to plant it too.

Dave

gilesn

• Joined Dec 2008
    • Mammoth Willow
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:22 am »
I just saw this post, I know its old but now is the time to be sticking your setts in the ground either 1ft through groundcover or using 3ft setts. You need to be realistic about the amount of land needed to produce a useable amount of wood and be prepared to wait 4-6 years if you want logs. Because of demand we produce starter kits that people you can then take your own cuttings from but these won't make a significant reduction in your fuel bill. But if you want to get off to a flying start and heat your whole house and water with the willow you will need to plant about 1500 to 2000 setts in 1/4-1/2 an acre this year then do the same each year until you have 1-2 acres. This does compare well with woodland in terms of land and time where you would need about 5 acres and a 20 year rotation to produce the same amount of fuel. Also in the unlikely event that you've got cash sitting in a savings account that's earning paltry interest think about the return you will get by converting it to fuel, whether through quick growing willow or planting traditional woodland.

cheers

Giles from Mammoth Willow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS