Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickens and ducks  (Read 1372 times)

ryaldinhio

• Joined Feb 2015
chickens and ducks
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »
hi all,
bought a chicken coop and looking at getting our first livestock after our hols in may we are planning on half a dozen hens to start.

I like duck eggs...and meat! so can I keep chickens and ducks together? are ducks easy to look after? space required? pond needed? housing?...total ameatuer so any help appreciatted.

thanks

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: chickens and ducks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 09:08:56 pm »
We keep our chickens and ducks together and have 1 coop which we built and divided so the chickens sleep on the first floor and the ducks on the ground floor. Have never had a problem and they live quite happily together.

They both eat the same food so that also makes it easy.

Previously we had a duck pond but got rid of it as was cleaning it out weekly. The ducks are basically mucky buggers. Now we have a kids sand pit as a pond, saves a lot if water and the ducks still love it. Also a lot easier to clean.

The ducks are very comical but really do make a mess!

________
Caroline

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:16:04 pm »
________
Caroline

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:55:12 pm »
My chickens and ducks share the same run but are housed separately. There are some diseases which can affect chickens badly but ducks not so much so I find it best to keep them a bit apart. Also most of my chickens don't roost but sleep on the floor and ducks stay up chatting late into the night so I don't think they'd bond in a house. Oh, and as mentioned ducks are very mucky creatures whereas chickens like a dry house.

I've got big dog baths for the ducks so they can have a little swim but I can move it round and clean it. They love it when the fresh water goes in.

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS