Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: old ram = ram lambs ?  (Read 5626 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: old ram = ram lambs ?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 03:49:23 pm »
ACV ?????
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:33 pm »
Apple Cider Vinegar.....?

6 year old ram - 6 ewes and one ram lamb. 2 year old ram 1 ewe and 4 rams. Having said that the rams are super so Im quite happy with that and 200% lambing. ;D [size=78%]  [/size]

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:09 pm »
So, it seems to make bu##er all difference whether your ram is young and innocent or old and experienced :sheep: :sheep:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:24 pm »
So, it seems to make bu##er all difference whether your ram is young and innocent or old and experienced :sheep: :sheep:

Does seem that way- the reason I posed the original question was that I've heard it a few times, usually from "wise" old birds. recently it was said with some authority by an elderly farmer friend of my near neighbour. Having said that he has also offered several other gems, encouraging me to feed my pigs whole chicken carcasses (feathers and all) as best way to fatten them ( I didn't !!) and turning up with a Wiltshire Horn ram ( self shedding hair sheep ) with a thick woolly fleece then insisting Exmoor Horn and Wiltshire Horn were the same breed. I learn much from the wise old birds- just not this particular one it seems

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »
If there is a nutritional / environmental / hormonal factor which influences lamb gender then I would be interested to know what that is.

I understand that the above factors all have a bearing on fertility/ productivity as in how many lambs the ewes carry, along with breed of course but as a person who sells pure breed ram lambs as breeding tups I do hear all sorts of stories and "old wives tales" designed to deter purchasers from using young rams.

I's nice to hear a few stories going round in support of young rams, even if they are a load of rubbish. I wonder if the negative "wisdom" that hear about young males could possibly be spread by someone desperate to palm off a newbie with their old stock........ :innocent: [size=78%]  [/size]

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »
Yup apple cider vinegar, the one with the Mother of course :)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 07:31:29 am »
 Buffy, I'm definitely having a ram lamb as a tup this year. I only had four ewes, but they all lambed within four days of each other, 152 days after he went in! He was in for 7 weeks! I call that proper beginners luck! And we had three of each sex in the end.  :thumbsup:
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS