Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weight of goose eggs for incubation  (Read 2095 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Weight of goose eggs for incubation
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:42:57 pm »
My C Ashton book "Domestic geese" has got a weight loss table for incubation in it. The starting weight for the Pilgrim example is 200g.

Just weighed my three eggs so far, they come in at 110g, 120g and 123g - these are 1 yo birds, so wouldn't be rearing breeding stock from them anyway.

Is the success rate dependent on the weight of the egg, or will these just be smaller goslings when hatched?

Will the weight of eggs go up this year as the breeding period gets going properly? And should I wait until heavier eggs appear - or won't they this year?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Weight of goose eggs for incubation
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:29:42 am »
Don't know about Pilgrims but my 2 yo West of England is producing eggs in the 200g area whereas the one year olds are both producing them about 150g. I've set all except the very smallest (130g). I believe from the more experienced breeders I got my first birds from that the bigger eggs are more likely to hatch and have bigger, stronger goslings. But I thought I'd risk it anyway. Based on last year, I didn't manage to hatch any of the littler eggs. If you think you can get two batches through, I'd do that. I've got the same book and there are problems with different shell thicknesses at different points in the season so I just try them all!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Weight of goose eggs for incubation
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 07:00:22 am »
Thanks, will see. Goosey is just getting into the swing of things up here...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS