Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Table Bird taste Test  (Read 1457 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Table Bird taste Test
« on: March 21, 2015, 05:45:21 pm »
Table bird project is Back On   
If you remember last year I was quite excited about the Freedom Ranger and Poulet Galouise table birds I reared.
It all ended in tears when Mr Fox killed the lot 3 weeks before processing   

Well I am trying again
The eggs are coming Tuesday and I will also be setting 21 eggs from my little La Bresse Galouise flock.

I am really looking forward to comparing the 3 breeds on the table.
Let's hope I get a taste this time   

Anyone else doing birds for meat this year ?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Table Bird taste Test
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:36:17 pm »
Will you do a blind test? You could joint them, cook up some breasts and get someone to test you on which you prefer?

I'm doing Copper Marans, Light Sussex, Exc Leghorn, Cream Legbar, Araucana, Welsummer, Ixworth and RIR and all the boys will be eaten. With the light breeds I tend to kill, skin and take off the breast and legs without plucking or drawing. The bigger birds go in the freezer as roasters. Copper Marans have so far been our most successful with RIR in second place. Just started on proper trad LS so looking forward to trying them and also Ixworth.

I do plan to look into some proper meat birds but for now we've got plenty of meat as a side product from hatching hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS