Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming pre farrowing  (Read 3506 times)

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
worming pre farrowing
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:53:53 pm »
I have two sows due to farrow in approx. ten days. I understand that subcutaneous injecting for worms etc should be done four weeks before farrowing. Are there any contraindications if I do it now, or will it just reduce the effectiveness for the piglets?

I ask so that others might also learn!

Morgan

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: worming pre farrowing
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:04:47 pm »
We wormed our gilt 2 weeks before due to farrow, used pellets, not injection.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »
I use Flubenol, a powder in their food, 2 weeks prior to farrowing.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:43:45 pm »
Ivermectin injection is recommended 2 weeks before farrowing so nows the time to do it!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:25:42 pm »
use a treatment that causes both of you as little stress as possible; we personally only use oral wormers.Don't know about any one elses but our pigs HATE injections and will run off or batter us if we come near with an injection.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:41:28 pm »
My pigs are getting a little injection wise too. Just to let yee know I did it, without any contraindications!

pedigree porker

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »
Also with injections you might find it goes out of date before you use it all, or you can only use the bottle once, this could cause lot of waste in both wormer and money.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:02 pm »
Well done, a little tip for those who become injection clever! give them a slap behind the ear then feed them or give them an apple or something they love, do it occasionally, when you need to inject have the syringe ready, slap, give food then inject, works everytime for mine! The slap slightly numbs the area, the treat takes their mind off it!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:17:50 am »
Hi only revisited this today don't know why but Dixie we have tried every trick in the book with our TAMS and none work they are far too clever and far too fast; if the pig is that unwell that inj is the only answer [thankfully this has never been the case] we have to create a very sturdy pig crush and have some strong men around. It's really stressful for all concerned; we did this with a prolapsed sow; and would never want to do it again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS