Author Topic: orfe  (Read 19199 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: orfe
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »
We've discussed before that there may be a link between reaction to orf and whether a person has cold sores (ie,, Herpes.)  I don't think we've ever concluded either way, but it does seem to be the case that some people do have a really horrid time if they get orf, whereas many just have an irritating and somewhat painful lesion which really isn't the end of the world.  And some of the latter (but not none of the former) have also had cold sores in the past.

And Me - yes, they do have very clean faces once we've Dazzed them!  It's a bluey-white of course... ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 01:55:10 pm »
We get a few lambs every year - when they move into a field with gorse in it. Never seen it on any of my ewes, not all lambs get it and all have recovered without any treatment (I'm on standby to treat with sudocream if mouths start looking sore, but so far they have just gone warty then back to normal. Fingers crossed yours goes the same :fc: :fc:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 02:21:09 pm »
and given that Orfe is very contagious, how do you deal with your own lesions once you have them? "Me" has it on his hand, so does he need to have the hand covered? What about towels and bed linen he has touched?
When my children were very young they caught impetigo and gosh was that a pain to manage...... separate towels and crazy laundry regimes. Do you have to do the same with Orfe?
(sorry to ask this, all those currently infected, but forewarned is forearmed!)
Is it time to retire yet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 02:31:42 pm »
Orf enters through broken skin, so if you have cuts in your hands (or elsewhere ;) :0) and a partner with orf, then yes take care!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:15 pm »
I am told human-human spread is very rare interestingly, we shall see. I've been around pet lambs etc with orf since the age of 2 and never had it - until now! I am also told that immunity in people to orf is generally solid and long lasting...

Maybe now I have a giant manky hand to show off people will stop asking me to lamb their scraggly ewes!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:49:39 pm by Me »

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 04:12:02 pm »
that's interesting Me. If immunity is supposed to be solid how come you've caught it now do you think? Sorry to keep going on but its now sounding a bit like the chickenpox virus, showing up as shingles years later.
Maybe I should shut up!  :innocent:
Is it time to retire yet?

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 04:20:31 pm »
And the next question is - as soon do symptoms show if you have caught it?  I have been careful around my sheep since Friday when I noticed the orfe, but was handling them all up until then!!  My hands are covered in scratches and cuts (not very pretty or feminine!!) so very easy to get infected!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
Well as I've never had it before I had no immunity. Hoping now I have had it I will not have it again! Tempted to post a photo but don't want anyone losing their lunch, the world is not ready

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 05:47:03 pm »
ooh picture please!!!!!  :excited:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 06:12:15 pm »
Spray the lesions with Bactocyde (https://www.fanevalleystores.com/product/105934/nettex-bactocyde-extra-strength-disinfectant-trigger-spray-500ml)  and put out lump rock salt (the pink lumps) as this will prevent any others getting it.

Me - dunno if Bactocyde works on humans...:)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 09:17:48 pm »

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 09:23:24 pm »
Just for research purposes of course  :innocent: not because I am weird nutter who takes pleasure in others pain!!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 04:48:41 pm »
You asked for it. This is just where it started to turn from just Orf to Orf plus bacterial friends/lymphangitis. The arm went a bit purple and hand blew up like a balloon! What fun!   

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 04:51:41 pm »
Faint at this point, became dark.. oh dear.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »
Ouch!!!!!  that looks really nasty!!!!  (but glad to say I haven't caught it too)  :fc: :innocent:

Rather spooky that you posted that at exactly the same time I posted an update on my lambs with orfe!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS