Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 day old lamb not passing urine  (Read 3653 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
2 day old lamb not passing urine
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:36 pm »
Following my previous post, with my weak lamb.

Lamb was weeing loads and not drinking or pooing. She is now drinking and passing poo like there's no tomorrow but she's now stopped weeing. She squats down and nothing come except one tiny droplet! I've gently cleaned her lady area  and there is no obstruction.

Is this something to worry about?  (I am very worried at the moment)

Anything I can do?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: 2 day old lamb not passing urine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:41 pm »
Reading your other post if she was full but not dunging it sounds like she may have had retained meconium. Thing are probably just a bit inflamed in the pelvic area now making her think she wants to pee. It should settle down ok.
One other thought is to check shes dunging through the right hole. If there's a gut deformity well back they sometimes force a hole through the wall & dung through the vagina. Again things are just a bit inflamed for a few days but then usually fine.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:02:45 am »
She is really giving your shepherding skills a work out isnt she?

Farmvets expertise is a great resource  :thumbsup: [size=78%]  [/size]

I would recommend a large dose of Valium administered orally on an as and when required basis.

That's for you by the way Hillview not for your lambie ;)

Seems the best course of action for your lambie is flippin patience yet again. :-\

You have got her feeding and pooing though so 2 outa 3 aint bad.

Keep Calm and keep going.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:30:17 am »
Thank you farmvet. That makes sense. She's just had a big wee :)

Thank you so much buffy for all you advice, support and giving me hope.

She's going back to the farm today as she's doing everything she should do now. Knitted her a made to measure jacket and will keep an eye on her. I wish she could  stay here for ever!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 09:17:44 am »
 :excited:  Thats fantastic!

you have spotted a sickly lambie, revived it, tubed it, medicated it, got it feeding and doing wees and poos all over your kitchen and now she is fit enough to go back with her mum. Thats a brilliant achievement. Just think how chilled out you will be if this happens again next year.

My final bit of advice would be to rub her Lambie jambies / cardigan in the oils secreted from the ewes groin and then put it on your girl. It will help her to smell like the ewes lamb not yours. 

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »
Just love the little jumper Buffy!
4 pet sheep

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:06:16 pm »
Thanks moprabbit,

I would love to take the credit but I was only responsible for the design. A friend of mine crocheted 3 of them for my orphans but Pixie ended up wearing them. She does look great in them though.  ;D [size=78%] .[/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS