Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Commerical lambs  (Read 7709 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Commerical lambs
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 04:30:54 pm »
We've sold through Dunbia in the past but mostly go to Woodhead (for Morrisons) or Vion for Asda and Tesco these days.  (Used to be Welsh Country Foods.)  They tell us the estimated bid price up front, so if we don't like it we don't send lambs.  And we get good info back, including any vet lab details (whether or not it affected the price they paid.)

Usually deadweight is very good earlier in the season, sometimes we do better through the marts later on.  But it's always a gamble going to the mart.

What sort of volume are you doing?  We take batches of 20-25 to the local collection centre; they collect up a lorryload for whichever operation is moving lambs that day.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 06:08:27 pm »
Try to make a lorry load each time----that's about 150 . There are 3 or 4 of us within 15 miles so with 2 or 3 pick ups we can make a load

Last week I sent 100 & next week I will send another 150----try to get rid of the things before too many more hit the ground!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »
The Beltex is, after all, only a Belgian offshoot of the Texel hence, I suppose, the passion for double muscling.  There was a fashion for them in these parts a few years back but folks just got fed up with the lambing problems and many have returned to less extreme Suffolks. 

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 12:17:09 am »
In the comments someone has asked/put is a landrace pig crossed with a charolais .. or a belgian blue..

His suggestion of a hint of squirrel is also spot on, especially in the face.  Can't see the charollais in it at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS